Chapter Fifty-Nine

Alexander guided their mare along the edge of the forest, his eyes darting between the thick cluster of tree trunks. He felt himself on edge as they neared the castle. He had his gun beside him and Colette on the other side. She seemed quiet and lost in thought as they trotted along. If she knew what was to take place soon she did not say.

He hoped she didn't know. He hoped the plan Beatrice and him devised would have any feelings she harbored for the beast in secret disappear. It pained him to know she felt something for him in return. She never spoke of her feelings towards the beast lord but the day they left, there was a hollowness in her eyes and he watched he stare long and hard towards the castle's tower as they rode off.

He did not know what had been exchanged between them and prayed nothing physical, but whatever the feeling it motivated him further to ensure her protection and safety. The protection and safety of those who did not have it when the Lord turned into the beast and the curse placed upon him and his servants warranted death.

Beatrice had explained as much as she could to him in letter what had happened that day and it filled Alexandre with extreme disgust and hatred towards the lord. So many innocent, helpless lives were taken because he could not have what he had hoped to be his. It made him sick to the stomach and to think that beast loved his daughter nearly had him kneeling over and spewing his guts. But it wasn't him racked with nauseous anxiety as they rode but his daughter who ushered him to stop.

"Dearest, are you al-."

Colette heaved over the side of the cart, releasing the contents of her stomach. He smoothed his hand down her cloaked back. Worried filled him as she shuddered again. What had this beast done to his daughter to make her so nervous.

"Are you alright? Should we stop for a bit?"

Alexandre looked up at the sky and knew they were already running behind. He didn't want to stop any longer in fear of being detected by any wolves waking from their midday slumbers.

Colette shook her head, wiping her mouth with her sleeved arm. She gestured for him to continue and set them going again.

"I'm sorry father. It must have been something I ate last night." She grimaced and spat outside the cart.

Her heavy sigh echoed in his bones and he felt similar reservations about where they were going.
He twisted the reins in his hands anxiously glancing at his gun. What he would do would be the hardest thing he's ever done in his life. It scared him to think it would go completely wrong and he would lose not his life but his daughters.

"We are almost there. Just around this bend and the castle beyond that."

Colette had slumped down into a huddle of sorts. She nodded beneath her hood and wrapped her arms around herself. God. He loved her so much. He knew what he had to do to ensure her safety. To bring vengeance for those who could no longer take it upon themselves. For Beatrice. For Arva. For Niel. For his coward, crippled self he had been in that cell.

Lord Sébastien had to die.