Chapter Twenty-Seven

Sébastien waited for her retort. For her to say that death was unreasonable. That he could not take another's life. That he should accept his fate. That it was deserved after what he had done. He waited for her to tell him everything he already told himself, but she was quite; contemplative even. That was when he realized her hand was still on him. That her fingers caressed the nape of his neck in lazy twirls. A stifled groan slipped down his throat and Colette stiffened at the low note.

She stood up and retreated back to her seat. She looked him straight in the eyes and said, "Whose death?"

Sébastien wasn't ready to disclose that bit of information to her. Not yet, atleast. Not until the time was right. He secretly hoped that she would stay long enough to see past his beast form for who he truly was. A lonely, heart broken man.

"I... I don't want to discuss this any further."

"Why? If you know how to break the curse then why haven't you?"

"Because!" He roared. "I'm tired of death controlling me. I walk outside those gates and I'm dead. Everyone dies. I am literally chained to this castle. And the one thing that would release us from this damn curse is the one thing I can't fathom the earth existing without."

Fury licked at his bones, his muscles, roiled in his gut. He felt like spewing fire. He was so angry. Angry at the curse. Angry at himself. Angry for wanting to rip that pretty, pink skirt right off Colette's body and take her across this damn table.

Dark desire pooled into his eyes and he saw Colette sink further back into her chair, her hand slipping into the waist of her skirt. He saw her grab at something beneath the linen fabric and pointed a warning claw at her.

"Whatever you're about to pull out. Don't." He snapped.

He closed the distance between them in a heartbeat and clamped his hand down on her hers before yanking back the fabric.

Rrriiippp!

The fabric tore away between his claws. He carefully missed her fist and saw the small knife she grasped onto.

"Where did you get that?" He growled low.

He was so close to the edge. So close to her. He could practically see her tanned thigh through the thin material of her shift.

Colette held his gaze but her bottom lip quivered. A single tear escaped and slid down her cheek. Out of his own desire and need to taste her, he leaned down and lapped up the tear with his tongue.

Colette's eyes fluttered closed and she let out a small noise in the back of her throat. "P- please. Sébastien. You're scaring me."

Sébastien broke out of his spell of rage and pulled away. He stamped out the fire that blistered inside and blew it out in two long tendrils of smoke. "I- I'm sorry Colette. I'm so sorry. I- I didn't mean to scare you. I don't know what came over me. Please. Forgive me."

He fell onto his knees, bowing at her feet. "I don't want to be this way. To act like an animal. Please, I beg you to forgive me."

Colette lowered her hand to his head and Sébastien sagged with relief.

"I forgive you."

"I don't deserve it." He didn't deserve her forgiveness. The gentle hand she placed on his head.

"No. But it is my will to give it. Stand up."

Sébastien obeyed and stood up. He towered over her by a good eight inches but her gaze made him feel small. Weak. The way she made him feel was indescribable. This woman. So young. So full of life and love. To serve. He decided right then and there that he would die for her.

"I don't know what you feel when this need... This desire overtakes you, but I want you to remember the young boy who fell in love with a girl. Remember those feelings. Hold on to them because that's the human part of you. To love. Keep that. Never let it go. Once you let it go you've committed to this beast."

Sébastien didn't know what to say. He only nodded because in truth, Colette had stolen his very breath away.