Chapter Twenty-Six

Colette weighed Sébastien's request and wondered if she was a fool to have denied it. Her father practically begged her to leave this morning. He even mentioned going to Gregorie and asking him to gather the men in town to storm the castle and kill the beast.

In the beginning, Colette would have agreed but she couldn't see past the kind hospitality Sébastien has shown them. The gentleness he radiated this afternoon in the libraries. She couldn't shake the feeling that something in him had changed. He no longer was cast in shadow. The fire that flickered in his eyes was gone, replaced by soft swirls of orange and yellow. His eyes. Colette thought them to be something to behold. Something worth painting. She wouldn't dare voice that out loud though. He was still a beast. Still a monster. The monster that held her father in that cold, dark cell and waited for him to die.

"Lunch will be served in the west foyer if you'd like to join me. Niel tells me I need to leave my study more often. Let my fur breathe." He chuckled, a deep sort of rumble that rolled up and out his throat. Colette found the humor welcoming.

"I wouldn't know where to find it?" She admitted.

The castle was so big, she only knew the places where she had been already. She knew there were towers at each corner and back beyond the castle, she couldn't fathom what she'd find.

"Let's start with going West." He mused and Colette couldn't help but match his tentative smile.

Sébastien walked in graceful strides a few feet ahead of Colette while she gawked at his hind legs from behind. His trousers were once again cut at the ends to allow less restricted movement of his legs. And what powerful legs they were. The hair on them tapered off past his calves and down into his large feet. His feet looked human enough aside from the massive talons that clicked softly against the stone. He was certainly something to behold as her eyes traveled up his legs and backside.

Oh, yes..

Most certainly indeed.

She did not let her eyes linger too long at the taught fabric cupping his...

"To the left is the family gallery. And further down the hall is the west foyer."

Colette shook the indecent thought from her mind at the sound of Sébastien's voice. How long had they been talking? Where were they? She did a quick assessment of her surroundings. They passed a set of double doors before rounding a corner that opened up into a large circular foyer.

It was pretty much empty aside from a low circular table that had their lunch sitting on it in silver platters and two, tufted chairs that faced one another. Their backs were angled to the tall narrow window that lined the wall. A chandelier hung in the center of the space and a spiraling staircase extended up to another level. There was no art or decor in the room. Colette started to wonder if Sébastiens taste in decor was nonexistent.

"My study is on the next floor up. I spend most of my time in this tower. I have a wonderful view of the west gardens."

It seemed Colette had let Sébastien fill the conversation between them and decided it was probably for the best that she seemed a little interested and chimed in.

"Do you prefer being alone?"

Sébastien beckoned her to sit and handed her a plate of cheese and crust of bread.

"It was never my intention to live the rest of my life alone," he said, rather morbidly before taking a seat himself.

Colette nibbled on her bread before considering her next words.