Chapter Fourty-Two

Colette relaxed against him, kissing him back slowly and brought her hand to his face. Her fingers traced the ridge of his brow and the slope of his snout before curving along his jaw and pushing through his mane. She sketched his face with her hand, engraving the contours of him into her mind.

She would never see him again. She would never allow herself to see him again. She couldn't. As soon as she married Gregorie the sooner she would forget about him. Force herself to forget about him. She could not marry one man and have another on her mind. She would not do that to Gregorie. Once they consummated their marriage she would be his forever.

Sébastien pulled away first but not before stealing another quick kiss. This kiss was hard, permanent. Full of regret, desire, despair. It left her mouth feeling numb and he smiled, half heartedly, pulling away. "I'm sorry."

Colette knew his words were directed to more than just the kiss. She felt her heart fill with stones and she pressed her forehead against his. "I'm sorry as well. I'm sorry about Celeste and... and Ayra." She felt him stiffen. "I'm sorry that I cannot be the one to break this curse." She didn't want to die. Even if she felt strongly towards him. She would not leave her father alone in this world.

Sébastien ran his paw down her shoulder before grabbing her hand. He was careful not to curl his claws in too much as he lifted it to his heart. He pressed her palm against his bicep and she felt the erratic beating beneath her fingers.

"You did this. I was not living when you came here and now... I've never felt more alive. Thank you."

Colette wanted to hold him longer. To pull his face into her lap and hold him. She didn't understand the feeling she felt so strongly right now but the thought of leaving him tomorrow tore at a deep part of her inside. But she had to let him go.

Her lips trembled as she found the strength to leave him. "Goodbye, Sébastien."

He shuddered before standing to leave her on the floor. He looked down at her and Colette saw a heartbroken man beneath the fur and claws.

"Goodbye, Colette."