Chapter 7 - New Week

SERAPHINE POV

TUESDAY!

Ben: You're gonna go busking after this shift, right? I don't wanna stop you from your second job, you can go. 

Sera: You sure?

Ben: Yeah, it's basically dead after 1, anyway. 

Both of us turn and look at the barren, dead, empty cafe on this boring Tuesday. This job has been pretty forgiving to me so far, just a little bit of money to keep me going while I try to work at my passions... 

Ben is really sweet, honestly, he is, the past few days I'm required to work next to him, he's been nothing but reserved, yet easygoing, helpful, nice, and most of all, patient. 

He reminds me of Y/N except more of what I just said. No, wait... Y/N was pretty helpful and nice too. I wonder how much of Y/N is himself and how much of it is the corporate image. Ugh... Scratch... I promised her stupid words wouldn't get in my head. 

Sera: Alright, I guess I could-

MY PHONE IS RINGING!!! I didn't put it on silent. It's dad, but I'm sure Ben doesn't mind if I'm off the clock. 

Yeah... mom isn't around anymore, she left when I was little. It's... difficult when couples don't get along, and my mom and dad were an example that taught me some things. Tread lightly... and play safe... 

Sera: Hey dad! 

Dad: <Hey little beansprout!> 

Dad speaks mostly Mandarin, but I'll try and keep it as simple as possible... 

Dad: <How are you doing? Did you eat today? Just wanted to check in and see how you're doing, things are crazy right now, how's the cafe?> 

Sera: It's alright, dad, and yes I ate... hehe... 

Dad: Guess we all have to start somewhere. So, you still trying to chase that wild music dream you left the house with? I don't think this is a path you want to go down...

Sera: Dad... you're not helping. 

Dad: I'm just trying to say... *sigh* <I worry about you.> 

Sera: I know... I know... don't worry dad, I'm gonna be fine. I love you, and... well... it shouldn't take success for you to support me in my dreams. 

Ben mumbles: Ye-ouch, hit him with it... 

Sera: I'll talk to you later, okay? *Sigh* 

I let out a hot sigh and hang up. I look at my phone background for a moment, which is just Bao, posing in the window. I should... text Y/N... no, no, he might be busy with work. Let's just get the dad talk out of my head and just go play in the park... 

I mean-OH! Ben stops me before I leave, stepping right in front of me. 

Ben: Hold on there, what's your favorite boba flavor? You talk a lot about it. 

Sera: I'm just a plain Jane... 

Ben: Well, that makes my job easier. 

In no time at all, he fumbles with some milk tea and the tapioca balls, and then hands me a drink. He's so elegant when he works with anything behind the counter, so fast and yet so precise. 

Ben: On me, safe travels. Figure you'd need it after rough convo that... I definitely didn't need to hear. 

See? He's really nice. I take the boba and take a sip, but I can't hold it in anymore.