Chapter 1 - Where it (re) started

Maylin's Pov:

Darkness. It was all around me. All I could see. I wasn't asleep, but I couldn't say I was awake either. Clearly, I wasn't sleeping peacefully. My head was throbbing terribly, and I felt my lungs heavy. Violent jolts disrupted my sleep, forcing me to open my eyes. I sat up abruptly and started coughing violently. Water was coming out of my lungs. I began gasping for air, suffocating.
Panicked, I finally managed to catch my breath. I then struggled to observe my surroundings. I was locked up. The cage I was in seemed to be moving, ascending. An elevator. I was in an elevator. How on earth had I ended up in an elevator ? Approximately every 10 meters, light streamed in through the grilles. Panic overtook my body. I felt myself fading. Despite my efforts to resist, it was no use. I blacked out.
A few moments later, I began to gradually regain consciousness. A bright light brushed against my closed eyes. Several voices echoed in my head, distant yet audible.

"So ?"

"Say something, how's the new one ?"

"Does he seem cool ?"

"It's a girl..."

I woke up abruptly, breathless, with a single word on my lips that I couldn't help but shout aloud.

"Thomas."

I caught my breath before lifting my head, finding myself facing about twenty boys who were staring intensely at me, their expressions showing surprise. One of them had entered my box and was extending his hand, inviting me to take it to help me get up. I took a few seconds to realize the situation I was in. I used a box in the cage where I was confined to climb out. I started running as fast as possible under the burning eyes of the group of boys. Some of them were laughing while others were shouting.

"THE GREENIE IS A RUNNER."

I ran without even looking back. I didn't know where I was going, but I felt the need to escape. As I sped up, my vision started to blur, and dizziness hit me. Despite my efforts to resist as hard as I could and keep running, fainting was clearly inevitable. Once again, I blacked out.

A few moments later, I woke up gently. The sunlight struck my eyes again, momentarily blinding me. I turned my head and saw grass around me. I must not have been unconscious for long, as I was in the exact same spot where I had passed out. The grass was slightly damp, indicating that the morning dew was still present. It was probably not very late in the day.

I looked around and saw a boy standing alone in front of me, with his hands on his hips. Quickly analyzing his face, I recognized him. He was the same boy who had reached out to help me up when I was in the box. His blond hair was glistening slightly in the sunlight.

"That's it ? You're done ?" He chuckled slightly.

I said nothing, simply staring at him. He sighed, then offered his hand again to help me up. I didn't take it and got up on my own.
He chuckled again at my reaction.

"Where are we ?" I simply asked.

"Welcome to the Glade !" He said.

"The glade ?" I repeated.

"This is it. The place where we were sent. This is where we live." He replied.

"Sent ? Who sent us ?"

"We're not sure. All we know is that the box you see over there," He said, pointing to the cage I had escaped from, "comes up every month, bringing us supplies and a new guy."

"I'm not a guy."

"Yeah, I noticed that." He chuckled. "It's the first time the box has brought us a girl."