Chapter 6 - Rumors

I did what Minho told me and waited. I didn't have much choice, to be honest, as I didn't really want to wander around the Glade naked. A few minutes passed, during which I started to feel seriously cold. As I shivered, I heard a voice behind the door.

"Maylin ? Are you in there ?"

It was clearly not Minho. I recognized Newt's accent, so I responded to him.

"Yes ?"

"Minho told me you don't have clothes and asked me to bring some for you."

"Oh, that's kind of you, Newt. Please pass them over the stall, if you would."

He audibly nodded and did as I had asked. I quickly grabbed the clothes and dressed hurriedly, wanting to warm up quickly. Once finished, I opened the stall and faced Newt, who had stayed outside, presumably to keep watch, just like Minho had done.

"These clothes smell really good, quite a change ! I admit I couldn't stand my dirty ones anymore." I said, clutching the t-shirt I had just put on.

I noticed Newt's cheeks blush slightly.

"They're mine." He said, running his hand through his hair, looking embarrassed.

"Then you smell really good !" I felt my cheeks blush a bit after saying that. Why did I say that ? I was a bit embarrassed.

"Thank you." He replied with a smile, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Umh, Did I not have any clothes ?"

"Nothing comfortable to spend the night in." He replied.

I smiled at him, finding it very kind of him to lend me his clothes just for my personal comfort.

We then headed towards the dormitories, walking slowly and chatting. I was still cold, trembling slightly, and Newt seemed to notice.

"Are you okay ?" He asked.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just a little cold." I replied warmly.

He then led me to his hut, claiming he wanted to warm me up. Upon entering, I immediately noticed that it was very well organized, especially for a boy's room. His scent was also quite strong— He smells like vanilla. He invited me to sit on his bed, which I did, and he joined me. We continued talking for a while, the night had fallen some time ago. I felt my eyelids getting heavy, and as I tried to resist, I eventually fell asleep.

Newt's Pov:

As we talked quietly, I noticed Maylin's sentences becoming shorter, and her fatigue was evident in her voice. A few moments later, I felt her head fall onto my shoulder. She had fallen asleep.
I didn't really dare to move, so I just watched her. Her hair fell slightly over her face.

I felt the fatigue catching up with me as well. I yawned silently and gently removed her head from my shoulder to stand up. I carefully laid her down on my bed, not wanting to risk waking her. Now that she was asleep in my bed, I wasn't sure where to sleep myself. Sleeping with her was out of the question; she hadn't given me permission, and I doubted she'd be thrilled to wake up next to a boy tomorrow morning. I pondered for a moment and simply sat down at my desk. I knew the night wouldn't be peaceful, but fatigue didn't allow me to think of a better place quickly. I rested my arms on the desk and laid my head down. I fell asleep shortly after.

I felt the first rays of sunlight entering my hut, waking me up. I stretched briefly and rubbed my eyes before turning to my bed, where Maylin was still asleep. I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over me as I saw her sleeping peacefully. It was a change from last night, which was reassuring. I continued to watch her for a few moments until she woke up. I think it's the first time I've seen her wake up so calmly. Maylin rubbed her eyes before seeing me.