Chapter 7 - The gathering

I then left the cafeteria feeling a bit disoriented. I wasn't sure what to do, so I started looking for Newt to talk to him about the situation. However, I ran into Minho coming out of the maze.

"What's up, Greenie ! I see you're still wearing Newt's clothes. Must have had a good night in his hut." He said with a smirk that clearly hinted at his thoughts.

"Minho, stop, I don't find this funny. I didn't do anything with Newt !" I replied, panicked.

"I know, Maylin."

"But the other guys don't seem to know that." I replied.

"It's stressing you out." He noted.

"Of course ! Now they must all think I'm an easy girl for sleeping with a guy after 3 days ! I can't even imagine what they might—"

He interrupted me by taking me by the shoulders.

"Hey, Maylin, calm down." He exhaled. "I'll sort this out, don't worry." He smiled warmly at me.

I returned his smile. I found it very kind of him, especially since I had only known him for a short time. I must admit that I still felt like I had known him for a long time, a bit like Newt.

"We have a gathering this afternoon to decide on your job and any adjustments we need to make regarding your arrival. Come with me. I doubt Alby will agree to let you attend, but can you wait outside while I go in ?" He informed me.

I nodded and followed him into one of the huts. I saw all the Keepers seated, facing Newt and Alby who were standing.

"Finally here, Minho. Hope we're not bothering you !" Gally remarked.

"Yeah, everything's good, thanks, Gally." Minho smiled with his usual smirk.

"What's she doing here ?" Zart asked.

"I was wondering if she could attend the gathering ?" Minho explained.

"Minho, you know that's not possible. Sorry, Maylin, but you'll have to wait outside. It won't be long, don't worry." Alby told me.

I nodded and got out of the big hut. I sat against the wall of the main hut and began playing with blades of grass while waiting for the meeting to conclude.

Minho's Pov:

I sat down next to Winston and let Alby speak.

"As you know, the Greenie is a girl. It's the first time the Box has sent us a girl, which is a big change. In recent days, we have clearly noticed certain logistical problems. Starting with the showers." Explained Alby, looking at me and inviting me to continue.

"Some boys have tried to watch her while she showers. With Newt, we've taken charge of monitoring the area, but this cannot continue indefinitely." I announced.

"I've also noticed that some watch her a bit while she sleeps." Added Winston.

Alby sighed and exchanged a glance with Newt.

"Continuing to have her sleep around the boys would be a bad idea." Affirmed Newt.

"We could build her a personal hut, like the Keepers have." Suggested Gally.

"Well, Gally's feeling generous ?" I remarked.

He shot me a dark look, and Alby continued.

"That's a good idea. We should also build her a private shower, shielded from view if possible."

"We can try." Replied Gally.

"Good. However, this won't stop all the urges from the boys." Newt addressed Alby. "We should implement a prohibition, so they face consequences if they attempt anything."