Chapter 22 - Yelling

"Because...Because I yelled at you earlier." I said, feeling my eyes welling up with tears.

"It's okay, May. I don't hold it against you." He reassured me.

"And I stained your sweater !" I added.

"A Slopper will take care of it, and Maylin, look around where we live, stains on clothes are not a big deal." He said, meeting my gaze.

"I also feel bad for not sharing my dreams with you." I murmured.

He didn't respond for a moment. "You don't have to tell me. I'd like it, but I can't make you. It's okay if you don't share them with me." He finally said.

A tear rolled down my face at his words. He gently wiped it away. How could he be so kind ? So caring ? He had only known me for two weeks and yet he was already so nice to me. Well, two weeks...

"I remember us."

"What ?"

"I remember us as kids. You, Minho, Alby. I also remember other kids, but they're not here."

"Oh." He paused. "Would you like to tell me what we used to do ?"

I thought back to my nightmare, to the man with black eyes who had grabbed my wrist. I was itching to talk to him about it, but it seemed pointless.

"I... I don't want to talk about it."

"No problem. If you ever feel like talking about it later, don't hesitate, May." He said, smiling at me.

I returned his smile as he got up and headed towards the exit of my hut.

"Please eat tomorrow morning. You need strength for running." He told me.

I nodded. "Good night, Newt."

"Good night, love."

With that, he left my hut. The nickname echoed in my mind. He had called me that before. He had called me that when we were kids. Were we best friends before the maze ? Maybe, we seemed close in my dreams. But there was also that boy, the brown-haired boy. He was in every dream of mine. We seemed close, like he was trying to protect me...? It's absurd, I don't even know who he could be.

I continued to torment myself with questions for a long while before finally falling asleep. The next morning, I woke up to the first rays of sunlight. I got ready, making sure not to forget to use a pad. I was in less pain than yesterday, so today, I could run. I left my hut and headed to the mess hall, where Isaac was already seated. I sat down across from him, and Minho joined us a few moments later. I planned to use this opportunity to reconcile them.

"So, Maylin, feeling better today ?" Minho asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I can run today." I said with a smile.

"What was wrong ?" Isaac asked.

"That time of the month." Minho replied.

"Oh, you have your period ?" Isaac inquired.

"Yeah. Can we stop talking about it ?" I said, feeling embarrassed.

"Of course." Isaac replied.

"So, guys, I know there's tension between you, but—"

Minho cut me off. "Are you really going to do this now ?"

"Why not ? I like both of you, and I'd like for you to appreciate each other too." I said.

Minho sighed. "Well, I guess I don't have a choice. I mean, I get that not being able to spend time with the exceptional person that I am must have been tough for you, Isaac."

Isaac and I laughed.

"Sorry again for... my behavior." Isaac said.

"No worries." Minho replied, finishing his last bite.

"Alright, time to go." Minho added, getting up.

We all stood up and headed towards the doors of the maze. We started running together, but soon split up as we didn't need to explore the same sections today.

The day passed quickly. I wasn't running at my top speed due to being slowed down by my period, but I didn't mind. I had missed running. Once I finished my exploration, I headed to the map room and recorded everything I had observed. Minho had told me he had explored it all, but there had to be an exit. There must be one.

Once I finished jotting down my observations for the day, I headed towards the kitchen. Frypan handed me a dish, and I thanked him, but before sitting down, I turned back to ask him a question.

"Hey, Frypan ?"

"Yes ?"

"Who do you usually eat with ? Please don't tell me you eat alone ?"

He chuckled. "No worries. I often eat with Alby and other Gladers. Sometimes with Gally too."

"Good to hear. If you ever want to join us for a meal, let me know ! I'll wait for you !"

"Thanks, Maylin." He said, smiling.

I returned his smile and went to sit with Minho and Isaac, who were already at a table, laughing together.

"I see you two get along well." I said with a smirk.

"Seems like it." Isaac replied.

We chatted for a while before Newt arrived. His jaw was clenched and he was gripping his tray tightly.

"Hey, Newt." I greeted him with a smile.

"Hi." he replied curtly.

I glanced at Minho and Isaac, trying to understand what was bothering him, but Isaac just shrugged. Minho looked at Newt and then flashed his usual smirk.

The meal passed with Newt hardly speaking. When Minho and Isaac left the table, leaving me alone with Newt, I stared at him for a moment before speaking up.

"What's wrong ?" I asked him gently.

"Nothing."

"You're lying."

He sighed. "Isaac annoys me."

"But he hasn't done anything ! He's really nice, you know Minho has made up with him, and they get along now. You should try to do the same." I said, a little annoyed.

"If Isaac is so perfect, why don't you go with him !" He snapped.

That's when I realized I didn't like it when people yelled at me. Tears welled up in my eyes, so I abruptly got up from the table and hurried back to my hut. I could feel Newt's gaze on me, but I didn't bother turning around.

I sat down on the floor against one of the walls of my hut and began to cry. I didn't even know why I was crying, it wasn't that important, it's not like he insulted me or anything. I lifted my head and stared at my desk chair. I literally had a chair in my room, but I still chose to sit on the floor. I chuckled at that thought. Then I heard a knock on my door, which snapped me out of my thoughts. I signaled for the person to come in, and it was Newt. He sat down in front of me.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, Maylin. I don't know why I did that." He said, lowering his head a bit.

I took a deep breath before responding. "It's okay. I yelled at you last night too, so we're even, right ?" I said, chuckling.

He chuckled too before continuing. "I'll try to make an effort with Isaac... if it means that much to you." He added.

"Thank you." I smiled at him.

We talked for a while before he left my hut. Once again, I had considered explaining the contents of my dreams to him, but I didn't. I thought for a moment and decided that I needed to write down what I couldn't say. So, I decided that starting tomorrow, I would leave a note in the box asking for a journal. Maybe it would be helpful.

_________________________________

Do you like the story so far ??

I will soon do a time skip !