Chapter 18 - Panik attack

Maylin's Pov:

I woke up again, this time much calmer than before. My breathing was normal, and I could see clearly. I sat up in the hospital bed and realized where I was.

"You're awake." A voice said.

I turned my head and saw Clint. He handed me a glass of water, which I took and sipped from.

"Feeling better ?" Jeff asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay. What happened ?" I asked the two boys.

"That's what we were going to ask you." Clint replied.

"Minho brought you here. Apparently, you were breathing heavily and then passed out in his arms." Jeff explained.

"Embarrassing !" I exclaimed.

The two boys chuckled before Jeff continued, "You had a panic attack. Do you really not know what might have triggered it ?"

I thought back to my dream. Those dreams were exhausting, and not being able to control what happened in them frustrated me even more. But this dream had really scared me. The man's black eyes and his grip on my wrist echoed in my mind. I lowered my head.

"If you don't want to talk about it, that's okay." Clint said after a moment of silence.

"We'll let you rest." Jeff added. "Lunchtime is coming soon, you should go eat. Oh, and Newt came to see you several times this morning. You should go see him when you feel up to getting out of bed."

With that, the two boys left. My head was still lowered, staring at the floor. I glanced at my left wrist, hidden under my sweater sleeve. This dream felt so real. Could it be a memory ? But it was so strange.

Hesitantly, I rolled up the sleeve of my sweater and examined my wrist. My eyes widened, and so did my mouth when I saw marks on my wrist. The scars were white, indicating they were old. I wondered if I had imagined it all or if this was indeed how these scars appeared on my wrist.

I then lowered the sleeve of my sweater and pushed those thoughts out of my head. I finally got out of bed and left the infirmary. I headed towards the garden, searching for Newt since the boys had informed me that he had come to see me. I eventually found him chopping a tree trunk.

"Hi Newt." I greeted him.

He looked up to face me and then stood up, approaching me.

"Maylin, you're awake. Everythin' okay ?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. The guys said it was just a panic attack, nothing serious."

"Why do you think you had a panic attack ?" He asked, intrigued.

"Um... I don't know."

"You're still lying, Maylin. It's okay if you don't want to tell me, that's your right and your choice, but there's no need to lie." He said.

I lowered my head, ashamed of lying again. Even though I had only known him for a short time, I felt a little guilty.

"Sorry..."

He lifted my chin with his hand to face him.

"It's okay."

"It's just... I had a dream last night, and... I keep having strange dreams." I said, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Nightmares ? It happens, Maylin, they're just dreams, nothing bad will happen to you." He said reassuringly.

"No, no, they're not just nightmares... I... It's realistic. It's like they're..memories...?" I said, hesitant.