Chapter 15 - A new friend

I didn't respond to Minho and placed my tray on the table where the boy was sitting. I then sat across from him, and he looked up to face me. He was staring at me with a surprised expression but said nothing, so I decided to break the silence.

"Hi !"

"Hi ?"

"What's your name ?" I asked with a smile.

"Isaac. You're Maylin, right ?"

"Yes, exactly ! How are you ?"

"I'm okay. Uh, and you ?"

"I'm good too, thanks ! I was wondering.. why are you eating alone ?"

"Because no one eats with me."

"Well yes, but why ?"

He stopped looking me in the eyes and answered. "They don't like me."

"All of them ?"

"Yes."

"Well, I like you !"

"You don't know me."

"I know your name, isn't that the only thing we're supposed to know here ?" I said, smiling.

He chuckled slightly at my remark before I continued.

"At the next meal, you should come sit with me and the others !"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not ?"

"Newt and Minho don't like me. Especially Newt, actually."

"Why ?"

"Um, I'll explain later."

I raised an eyebrow at his response. I'm naturally curious, so I have to admit I was already looking forward to "later."

We chatted about this and that during the meal. Once it was over, he headed towards the Homestead, so I let him go. I finally headed towards the tower to admire the sunset from up high. A few minutes passed before I heard someone else climbing up as well.

"Who's there ?" I asked, slightly worried.

"It's me, Maylin." Newt replied as he settled down beside me.

"You scared me !" I chuckled.

"Wasn't my intention." He chuckled back.

A light silence fell. The doors of the maze had already closed, a gentle breeze brushed my face. The sky was painted with a mix of orange and pink, stunning. Newt finally broke the silence.

"Why did you go with Isaac today ?"

"Why not ? He's actually very nice."

"I don't like him."

"I know. You should get to know him. I don't know what happened between you two, but set it aside."

"Hmm."

A light silence settled again, but Newt broke it once more.

"What was wrong earlier ?"

I finally turned to face him, having not looked at him since our conversation began, too focused on the sky.

"Everything was fine."

"You're lying. If you don't want to talk about it, I can understand, but I know you're lying."

"If you know I'm lying, why ask ?"

"I didn't ask if you were okay, I asked what was wrong."

"You have a point."