Chapter 4 - Jobs

Newt's Pov:

Chuck entered my hut without knocking, out of breath. That woke me up, but seeing rays of sunlight streaming through my hut, I realized I wouldn't be sleeping much longer even without his intervention. It bothered me that he would do that, so I pointed it out.

"What are you shucking doing here, Chuck ?"

He struggled to catch his breath to speak. He looked panicked, and I wondered what was happening.

'It's... It's Maylin."

"Bloody hell what's with her ?"

I started to get a bit worried, seeing how panicked Chuck was. I abruptly got up from my bed.

"She... She's crying and... screaming in her sleep." He said between breaths.

The mention of her name followed by what Chuck had just told me sent a slight shiver down my spine.

"Go alert the med-jacks." I ordered him.

He nodded in response. I began to run towards her hammock, despite my leg bothering me slightly.

I then saw her on the ground, her body trembling. She must have fallen, it's easy to stumble when you make too large movements on these stuff.

I picked her up and carried her toward the infirmary. She was sweating, one of her brown strands stuck to her cheek.

I then laid her down on one of the mattresses in the infirmary. Clint approached her and placed his hand on her forehead to check her temperature.

"She's a little warm, but she doesn't have a fever." He said, trying to reassure us.

"It's like she's having a nightmare." Jeff added.

He took a small towel, dampened it, and gently tapped Maylin's head with it.

I simply watched the scene, hoping she would wake up soon. I turned my head and saw Chuck standing there, tired from running so much but mostly worried for his friend. I couldn't imagine the panic he must have felt when he saw her in that state beside him.

I turned my head back towards Maylin and watched her for a moment, when suddenly she sat up, eyes wide open, gasping for air.
I was relieved that she finally woke up, seeing her in that state had also made me panic.

Maylin's Pov:

Suddenly, I sat up in a panic. My vision was slightly blurred from tears. I still felt my breath caught in my chest. I tried desperately to find air to fill my lungs. After a few moments, I began to calm down. I wiped the tears from my eyes and looked around. I was in what appeared to be the infirmary. Newt was beside me, along with Chuck who was watching me with a worried expression. I also noticed two boys I didn't recognize, one with dark skin and the other with brown hair.

"Maylin ! You scared me !" Chuck exclaimed as he hugged me tightly.

"You're okay ?" Newt asked.

"I am." I answered.

"Can you tell us what happened ?" The dark-skinned boy asked, as he handed me a glass of water, which I took.

"Just a nightmare." I said as I brought the glass to my lips.

I wasn't really lying, it was a nightmare. However, it felt incredibly real. I wondered if it was a memory from my old life, but that seemed strange to me.

"You should go eat something. You're spending the morning with us today, so we can keep an eye on you if you're not feeling well." The brunette said, giving me a nice smile.