Chapter 12 - A Runner

Newt gave Minho a slight glance before continuing, and Minho sighed.

"So, Minho told us about your achievements during your trials. Apparently, you more than passed all the tests, which is great. Given the circumstances and the fact that you can't really be a Med-jack-"

This time, I cut him off. I wasn't too keen on being a Med-jack, but I didn't understand why I couldn't be one. They seemed to imply the opposite in the previous days.

"Wait, why can't I be a Med-jack ?"

"Now you want to be one ? Women, you're never sure of yourselves !" Minho exclaimed, dramatically raising his hands to the sky.

I sighed and chuckled slightly.

"I still don't want to be one, but I would like to know why I can't."

"Well, um..." Newt ran his hand through his hair, looking embarrassed.

"Boys were getting hurt on purpose just to come spend time with you. Can you believe it ? Some were hurting themselves to do the chores I face every day ! Being around you must be one of the greatest trials I've endured since arriving in the Maze." Minho interjected.

If I didn't have a sarcastic mindset, I probably would have taken offense—it was rather mean. But it didn't bother me. It almost made me laugh, but I held back to avoid inflating his ego again. I've never met a man with such a big ego.

"I didn't realize I was so popular. You're dreaming of all that attention, Minho, aren't you ?" I replied with a smirk.

"Are you two flirting ?" Chuck asked, breaking his silence since the beginning of the meal.

My cheeks slightly flushed, feeling uneasy with his remark. Of course, I wasn't flirting with Minho at all, but the fact that Chuck thought so made me uncomfortable. Minho noticed my blush and flashed his usual smirk.

"She wishes." Minho simply remarked.

"Not at all ! Chuck, it's not what you think." I protested.

"If you say so." Chuck said shrugging before taking another bite of his food. Minho laughed while Newt watched the scene in silence.

Newt finally resumed his explanations.

"So, as Minho explained, it wouldn't be a good idea to make ya a Med-jack. The other jobs weren't suited for you either... From now on, you're a Runner." He said, smiling at me.

I abruptly stood up from the table and placed my hands on it quickly.

"Is it true ? Am I a Runner ?" I asked Newt, excited by the news.

He chuckled at my reaction before answering, still smiling.

"Yes, you're a Runner."

"Congratulations, Maylin ! You'll be able to get us out of here !" Chuck exclaimed.

"I'm here too Chuck, you know." Minho interjected.

"It's not your moment." Chuck replied as he hugged me.

I chuckled at his remark and returned the embrace.

The meal then took place in joy and good spirits. I was super excited at the thought of finally getting past these walls tomorrow morning.

Since Newt didn't have much to do this afternoon, he accompanied me into the forest. We chatted about various things. Once again, I didn't talk to him about my dreams despite the many topics we covered. We got along quite well, and I felt a good connection with him.

After our long discussion, Newt and I joined the others. I offered to help Chuck again. I must admit that helping him with the chores was an excuse to spend time with him.

"I swear Chuck, I can't sit still, I'm way too excited to explore the maze !"

"I'm happy for you, Maylin. I admit I don't understand how you can want to go in there, but I'm sure you'll figure things out for us." Chuck said to me.

"Minho's right, remember that he's been in there for much longer than me."

"Yeah, but you're different. I'm sure of it." He said, smiling.

We finished the chores, and I headed towards Minho's hut. I knocked and waited outside the door.

"Yes ?"

"Can I come in ?" I asked through the door.

"Orhh it's you. What do you want ?"

I took that as a yes and entered his hut. It was less tidy than Newt's, but nothing too serious. There were just a few clothes on the floor and on his chair.

"Could you come to the shower area with me ? Just to keep watch." I asked Minho.

He sighed and got up from his bed where he was sitting.

"Okay. Let me grab some clothes, I'll take my turn after you." He replied.

"Gentleman." I simply said.

"I know, I know. Do you have clothes with you ?"

"Um, no..."

He sighed again and searched for something else in his wardrobe.

"Alright, these won't fit as well as Newt's clothes, since mine need to be big enough for all these muscles, but they'll do for the night." He said, handing me a pair of shorts and a long-sleeve t-shirt.

"Thank you, Minho." I said, smiling at him.

He returned the smile, and we headed towards the showers.

I felt the cold water running over my body, but this time I suppressed the little scream that was about to come out by gritting my teeth.

"Looks like you're more resistant than last time." He said, chuckling.

I sighed and chuckled a bit too. I finished my shower, and then he took his turn. I waited for him outside the door.

He emerged from the shower, his hair still a bit damp. I observed him for a moment before he broke the silence.

"I know I'm stunning, but there's no need to look at me like that." He said.

"No, I was just thinking you particularly looks like a wet chicken like that." I replied.

He opened his mouth, pretending to be offended.

"We'll see who the real wet chicken is tomorrow in the maze. You know, there was no need to wait for me, no need to keep watch. Well, I mean, if someone wants to admire this fine body, I can't blame them." He joked, smirking as usual.

"I was just waiting for you, like you did for me." I replied.

We then headed to the kitchen since it was dinner time. We arrived quite late, so Frypan's meal service was almost over. We sat at the table with Newt, Chuck, and Alby. Frypan joined us shortly after.

Frypan was truly kind. He was full of warmth, much like Newt. I really liked these guys, and I was starting to consider them as friends. I wasn't sure if trusting them was a good idea, but something inside me told me it was.

__________________________________

Chapter 12 is over !

What do you think of it ?

I still don't have any readers but I really like writing so I will continue <3