Chapter 74: Coursing Through Its *Vains*

"I was created by the computer in Professor Rumi's secret laboratory." Vain said.

"That mad man again, huh?" Akame said.

"Years ago, Professor Rumi began collecting vein samples from the world's greatest fighters, hoping to synthesize their DNA into the creation of the ultimate Techno-Drone." Vain said. "His research was successful but due to the extreme length of time the process would require he abandoned it in favor of more immediate alternatives. And while the Professor turned his attention elsewhere, the computer was left to carry out the experiment, working day and night to create the perfect fighting machine. Additional vein samples were collected and incorporated inti the design, from you Akame, the rest of Night Raid; the entire Imperial Capital; the Soukai and Tenrou Nationsn and the Tuffles, Kyro, Lezo, and Ryzer as well. These samples were taken at the time of the Tuffle invasion while you all were at the peak of your powers."

"So, from all the way back then." Akame said. "Well, that explains why your Possession Wave was subpar at best."

"There's more, we were also fortune enough to gather vein samples from Torosu and his father during their brief stay on earth, incorporating their powers as well." Vain said. "We could've easily taken some from the boy TJ at the same time, but the computer already determined we gathered enough Tuffle samples."

"How did you even come by these samples? We were the only ones there when Torosu's ship landed, we would've noticed anyone else." Akame asked.

"It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. It's the same way Professor Rumi collected data for all his research." Vain said. "A fleet of tiny surveillance robots, the size of a fly. It can get in close without detection. Even now you're being studied, and your information is being transmitted back to the computer for analysis."

Vain then pointed at a bot floating behind him.

"Who knows, it might even take another blood sample from you." Vain said.

"Damn you!" Akame shouted as she blasted the bot camera, destroying it.

"It's too little; too late. The computer has plenty of samples already and the process is well underway." Vain said. "In twenty-four years' time, I will emerge... Professor Rumi's final and greatest creation."

"Impossible! We destroyed Rumi's lab! It's nothing but a pile of rubble." Akame said.

"Well, done. But the computer is in an underground bunker beneath the laboratory." Vain said. In short, I was created with the help of all of you. All of your powers are coursing through my veins, hence my name, but spelled with an "a" because it's much cooler and ominous that way."

"I see." Akame said. "So, if you here from the future four years ago, why wait until now to show your despicable face?"

"Simple. In order to fit inside the time machine, I was forced to revert back to my larval state. It took four years for my body to mature into the form you see now." Vain said. "After all, you can't rush perfection."

"Then one last question... you must have some reason for coming back here. What is it?" Akame asked.

"I was created to become the perfect machine but to achieve that status I require more than just the bioenergy from humans." Vain said. "I cannot become truly complete until I've absorbed two highly specialized lifeforms. Without them, the computer's data shows I will never reach the full potential of my design. The ones I need are two of Professor Rumi's other creations, Drone #7 and #8."

"What?!" Akame said.

"However, in the future that I've come from, these Drones no longer exist. TJ managed to defeat them both, thwarting for my quests for perfection before it even began." Vain said. "But luckily for me, TJ had a time machine right for the taking. Once that meddling fool was out of the way my search could continue and I used his time machine to travel back to the past where my prey still thrived."