Chapter 7: Slumber

Let's aim for 30-40 votes

3rd POV

As Akeno uttered those three simple words and eight powerful letters, Ayanokoji felt a peculiar warmth spread through his chest, a sensation unlike anything he had experienced before.

'What is this feeling?' he wondered, his thoughts racing as he grappled with the unfamiliar sensation coursing through him. 'Many people have said "I love you" to me in the past. But why do I feel like this when Akeno says it?'

The warmth that emanated from her confession enveloped him, stirring something deep within his heart that he couldn't quite comprehend. It was as if her words had unlocked a hidden part of himself, a part he had kept guarded and shielded from the world.

In that moment, amidst the uncertainty and turmoil of his emotions, Ayanokoji found himself inexplicably drawn to Akeno's unwavering love and sincerity. It was a feeling he couldn't ignore, a feeling that whispered of possibility and hope in the midst of his inner conflict.

And as he gazed into Akeno's eyes, he realized that perhaps, just perhaps, love had found its way into his guarded heart, illuminating the path forward in ways he had never imagined possible.

As Ayanokoji struggled with the tumultuous emotions swirling within him, he knew that he couldn't afford to allow himself to be swayed by the unexpected feelings that Akeno's confession had stirred within him. He had a mission to fulfill, a path to follow that left no room for distractions.

"Akeno," he began, his voice steady but distant, refusing to meet her hopeful gaze.

Akeno's eyes shimmered with anticipation, her heart pounding in her chest as she waited for his response, hoping against hope for a glimpse of reciprocation.

"You really..." Ayanokoji's voice trailed off momentarily, his words hanging in the air, laden with the weight of unspoken truths and unexplored emotions.

'are the best thing that happened to me'

"...are annoying," he concluded abruptly, his tone blunt and devoid of the warmth she had hoped to hear.

Akeno's heart sank at his words, her hopes dashed against the cold reality of his rejection. Despite the pain that gnawed at her heart, she had hoped she didn't hear properly

"I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" Akeno asked, her voice trembling with uncertainty.

Ayanokoji met her eyes, his expression unreadable, his voice devoid of any trace of warmth. "I said you are annoying," he repeated, his words like a knife through her already wounded heart.

Akeno felt a sharp pang of pain at his confirmation, her breath catching in her throat as the weight of his rejection settled upon her. She wryly chuckled, the bitterness of disappointment tainting her words. "A-and there you go, hurting me again," she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper. "K-kiyotaka, I know you're struggling, so please let me--"

"Didn't you hear what I said before?" Ayanokoji interrupted, his tone firm and unwavering. "I said go away."

'Please don't go'

Akeno's heart shattered at his words, her eyes brimming with unshed tears as she turned away, her steps heavy with the weight of rejection and unspoken longing. She knew there was nothing more she could do but to respect his wishes, even if it meant leaving behind the shattered fragments of her own heart.

As Ayanokoji watched Akeno leave, a heavy silence settled over the room, broken only by the faint sound of her footsteps fading into the distance. He couldn't shake the gnawing pain in his chest, the weight of his own actions bearing down on him like a suffocating blanket.