Chapter 17: Fate

More votes helps motivate me

3rd POV

"Ugh, why are we here?" Kokabiel grumbled as he walked alongside Azazel.

Azazel's enthusiasm was palpable. "This is a project I've been funding! The founder is working on creating sacred gears and transforming humans into inhumans."

"Why would you fund this?" Kokabiel questioned, clearly annoyed.

Azazel smiled. "Artificial sacred gears never seemed possible to me, so I was curious."

They stopped and looked through the glass, observing a boy training with a brown-haired man.

"Who are they?" Kokabiel inquired.

Azazel smiled knowingly. "That's Kiyotaka Ayanokoji, also known as the masterpiece, and the man is Kirei, his personal trainer."

"Masterpiece, huh?" Kokabiel mused, intrigued.

Kokabiel was in the throes of a vivid hallucination when he saw Ayanokoji smiling at him. The image was so clear, it felt almost real.

"I've fought many fallen angels, and you are still one of the better ones," Ayanokoji said, his voice echoing in Kokabiel's mind. "You also proved to be a worthy test subject and pawn." Ayanokoji's smile widened. "Stand proud, you are strong."

"What is this?" Kokabiel muttered to himself, feeling a strange sensation on his face

"What is this?" Kokabiel muttered to himself, feeling a strange sensation on his face. He reached up and touched his cheek, his fingers coming away wet. Tears? It didn't make sense.

He looked up again and the vision shifted. Ayanokoji's face was now impassive, devoid of any emotion. "Your fate," Ayanokoji said calmly.

*******

It was now morning, and Ayanokoji had just stepped out of the shower, the warm droplets still clinging to his skin as he began to towel off.

"Up early, aren't you?" a familiar voice remarked.

Ayanokoji already knew who it was without needing to turn around. "I always wake up early, Akeno," he replied, his tone calm and collected.

"Last night was quite the adventure, wasn't it? You, me, and Rias" Akeno's voice dripped with suggestion.