Looking Out For You (Part 3)

Aris’s P.O.V

She was there, quite literally the entire day like she said she would be. She forced me to rest. She stayed beside me despite the way the problem was just me being sleep deprived. She distracted me from the headache until I didn't even feel it.

“You're looking a little better,”She said, just barely putting her hand over mine. I like that. It's just the right amount of touch, of affection. It was nice. Really, really nice.

“Because of you. Thank you for staying with me. Even when I said I didn't want you to. You mean a lot to me,”I promised.

“Of course, and you mean a lot to me too. You always have,”She smiled, just barely rubbing my shoulders. Placing my hand over hers, I smiled as I tried to think about the last time I felt this calm, this comfortable with someone.

Probably the day before our argument. When it was just her and I, reading silently but together, every now and then complaining about something stupid the characters did before reading more anyway. I like that day. I like the way we were back to back while sharing a blanket. I like the way she didn't think I could hear the quiet squeals when the love interests that she was rooting for got just a little bit closer. I like the way she just put it down and stared at the wall when she was done, the way you do when you read something that changed everything. I like doing the same beside her. I like the way she asked if I believe in love after a while of silence. I like the way I instantly said yes.

I hate the way Y/E/N wasn't anywhere on my mind when I did. She was. Y/N. Her. It was always her.

“I love you,”I blurted out. Sitting up and looking at her, I didn't even know what I was supposed to do or even what I was doing now. I just know that I had to say it.

“No you don't,”She whispered.

“But I do. I-”
“Aris, you were hurt. You were manipulated, and you just figured it out. I can see it in your eyes, and that's good, but it doesn't mean that you love me. You think you do because I was here when you realized, but you don't. Not really.”

“Do you love me?”I whispered.

“It doesn't matter what I feel.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don't date people who are with someone else, no matter how bad that person is, no matter how broken that relationship is. I will never, ever be a part of that so there's no point in answering.”

“That means yes, doesn't it?”

“It doesn't matter,”She repeated.

“But if I kissed you, would you pull away?”I asked.

“I’d like to say yes.”

“But if you were honest?”

Being met with complete silence, I think that I knew her answer. I think I knew exactly what she would do, but I don't, but I want to, but I shouldn't.

“I should go, but you rest up, okay? I’ll see you tomorrow,”She promised.

“But Y/N-”
“Goodnight, Aris. Sleep well,”She interrupted, letting go of my hand that I hadn't realized she was holding. Walking out, she didn't look back, even as she shut my door.

“This sucks,”I mumbled, flopping on my back and staring at the ceiling. Putting my pillow over my face, I resisted the urge to have a main character moment and scream into it.

I will fix it tomorrow. No matter what.