Mackenzie

Mackenzie

The rogues moved first, swimming like crazy as the humans flailed over to it.

We all got there at the same time.

And it was chaos. The pack ripped others off the handle, and the rogues fought back with bitch moves like hair-pulling and biting. The humans got trampled.

I moved back, yanking a human up with me.

I shoved him back and into his friends then moved further back.

We couldn't all have the handle and the scientists knew that. The chaos was what they wanted.

Something inside me rebelled against that and I didn't want to give them anything.

Hope got the handle. Viking made sure of it, guarding everyone off it, staying true to his nickname.

"And he says Ryken's whipped," Dana muttered to Sullivan as she swam past. I narrowed my eyes on her and then found Ryken. He was with Viking making sure the rogues didn't fuck with them. Their loyalty was airtight.

The rogues figured that out too and changed targets.

Their eyes went to me. All three sets glared at me like I had anything to do with it.

I slowly moved backward in the water.

They started moving forward.

"Dana. Sullivan," Ryken ordered.

The pack members flanked me and I frowned. I did not want them at my back. They were more likely to stab it than protect it.

But the rogues nor the pack got a chance because a panel in the wall clunked open right next to where I was.

A flat square came down out of the wall and landed on top of the water. It was small, only big enough for a single person that wasn't built like a tank.

I grinned and jumped onto it as the wall panel closed. The square was attached to the wall by a metal arm and looked strong enough to hold any of us.

It held me at least. I shivered and ignored the glares from everyone else.

I was soaked and over this shit already.

Dana and Sullivan both left me to it and swam closer to the middle. I kept checking where they were and where the rogues were. They glared still. Not that shocking.

I looked up at the spectator box and checked the scientists. They were talking, their lips moving behind the glass with quick words that I wished I could hear.

They all had tablets, all taking notes.

I checked the box they were in, looking at every wall. There was a small ventilation grate on the wall behind them but other than that, there was only one door in and out. They had sofas and a table of drinks and food.

Lucky them.

My thoughts were interrupted when there was a cough from across the arena.

Two of the humans were holding the non-swimmer up as he coughed and spluttered.

I eyed Ryken.

He shook his head at me but I didn't follow his rules. He wasn't my Alpha.

"You three," I called to them.

One of them looked up and I pointed to the square I was on, "Come here, you can have this," I said.

The humans didn't hesitate, half swimming, half drowning over to me. I jumped off and helped them onto the square. There wasn't much room, but the non-swimmer fit in the middle, the other two hung off the edge like I did.