Mackenzie

Mackenzie

I hugged the bowl of the toilet, throwing up bile from my stomach before slumping against the wall.

Sweat beaded on my forehead and I wiped it clean with a wet cloth. I pulled my glasses off, wiped my face then put them back on.

I flushed the toilet just as Ryken shoved the door open.

I frowned at him and went to the small hand basin.

I washed my hands and then grabbed out my toothbrush.

He stood there, looking over me with feral eyes.

"Uh, hi? Do you mind?" I asked his big body in the way. He shuffled back but didn't leave the bathroom.

"Are you okay?" he demanded, his eyes going up and down over me.

I shrugged, "I was electrocuted and asleep for two days apparently. Yeah, I'm fine."

He smirked, "Never thought I'd say this, but I missed that sarcasm," he chuckled.

I smiled and brushed my teeth harshly, leaning against the vanity and staring at Ryken who had relaxed against the bathroom door.

"You're sick?" he asked nodding towards the toilet.

I shook my head and spit before answering, "No. The Scientist said I'd be queasy after all the drugs that had to be put in my system to keep me stable. Something about regulating my body after the drug. Apparently, I was highly affected, whatever that means," I shrugged and finished my teeth.

Ryken growled and left the bathroom. I followed, standing in the doorway as he paced with his hands on his hips, muttering to himself.

"You're acting weird. Did the drug affect you too?"

He shook his head, "No."

He kept pacing.

"So what's going on then?"

"Do you know what they put in your system? Specifically?"

"No," I stepped into the room and sank onto the bed, my head still not completely clear. I had been warned I would be foggy for a bit and I really hoped it was only a minute because it sucked.

"That's what I'm worried about," he bit out through his clenched jaw and I frowned at him.

"What did you find out?"

"Nothing for sure. Just a hunch. But I don't like it. I don't like this. I feel like we're rats in a maze and they're watching for fun." He raked his hands over his hair, tugging at his braid before blowing out a heavy breath.

"Kind of what we signed up for though," I said then went to the closet to grab a fresh pair of clothes. It wasn't technically shower time but I'd had my bloods and vitals checked for the last two days so I was allowed to skip my sessions.

I went to turn but my head swam. I reached for something to center myself, finding the bulk of Ryyken's bicep.

He gripped me at the waist and the arm, holding me steady.

"Hey, take it easy," Ryken said softly, pushing my hair back from my face.

I blinked to clear the fog enough, focusing on his features. They became clearer and I met his eyes with mine.

"You're being nice to me," I whispered, confused. As far as I was aware, we were still on the page of enemies but reluctant fuck buddies for the summer. I didn't think that extended to him caring if I passed out again.

"Gotta keep you guessing, Hybrid," he smirked but it didn't reach his eyes. He stepped back, his warm touch leaving me and I grinned. There was the Ryken I knew.