A Humble New Approach

Shane POV

My eyes land on Elizabeth, and I can't help but feel my stomach tighten. Since Elizabeth came back from getting her wedding dress, she just hasn't been the same. Usually Elizabeth is loud and vibrant, but for the last two days she has been quiet, soft spoken, and just....false. I meet Stephanie's eyes, and I see the worry in her eyes as well. Once dinner is over Elizabeth stands "I'm going to go out for a run." Dad nods "Okay, honey." Once she leaves the dining room, I sigh "Everyone sees it, right? Something is different about Elizabeth." My mother shrugs "Its just pre-wedding nerves." I glare at her "It is not pre-wedding nerves. You are only telling yourself that so you feel less guilty." Stephanie and Hunter both look at me with wide eyes, but my mother remains stone faced "You will not speak to me like this. I demand respect." I stand up "You can demand respect, but I will not give it to you. Respect is earned, and you have not even remotely earned any of my respect, nor Elizabeth's." Then I quickly go to find my sister. I find her in her bedroom, lacing up her tennis shoes. When she sees me, she gives me a small smile "That really wasn't necessary. You don't need to be in the middle of my battle." Elizabeth stands and begins to braid her hair, so I sit on her empty bed "I'm your big brother, your battles will always be my battles. Besides this is one battle that I have to fight. Mom and dad refuse to help you." I frown when I notice that Elizabeth's smile has vanished "I don't blame dad anymore." I stand up "You can't possibly be blaming yourself." Elizabeth shakes her head "No, I'm not an idiot. I know it's not my fault, but it's not dads either." Then her voice takes on such a venomous tone that I actually cringe. My sisters eyes are no longer the bright, happy blue skies I've known, but they are now hot blue flames. She looks out the window "I've realized that this is Ted Dibiases world, and we all just live in it. That jackass caught dad at his weakest moment, and he used it to his advantage. Do I agree with dad's decision? Of course not. Do I understand why he did it? Yes. So I don't blame dad...." She trails off, and for a moment it looks as if she might cry, but her face hardens almost as soon as I notice it. Then she spits out "Ted was just smarter." Without another word, she leaves her bedroom, and I am left there dumbstruck.

Elizabeth doesn't come back home for two hours. When she finally walks through the door, Stephanie jumps up and hugs her. Elizabeth awkwardly hugs back "What in the world, Steph?" Stephanie pulls away "We have been worried sick about you!" Elizabeth smiles "Why? I was out for a run." I smile as I get an idea. Elizabeth looks at me oddly "What are you grinning about?" I stand up "Wait here for me." My sister looks at me oddly as I run upstairs.