The Plane is Now Boarding

Elizabeth's POV
It is now the middle of October, and six months until my wedding. I have slowly come to accept that I will marry Teddy. Do I agree with it? No. Do I want to do it? No. But I realized after a while that I have no choice. So it's better to accept it now and deal with it, then to be dragged to my wedding. Teddy and I have slowly regained the friendship we once had. I still don't let him touch me though. The most I let him do is wrap his arm around my shoulders. Ted is just as arrogant as ever, but as the wedding gets closer it seems he only gets more giddy. It seems like my friends and I have drifted apart, which I know that is partially my fault. I became so obsessed with defying the wedding, that in the process I drove my friends away. Through everything though, Stephanie and Shane have remained my two closest allies. We are closer then we have ever been. My parents though have remained distant, but I've learned to live with it. It may sound pitiful, but I've accepted my life for what it is. I will marry Teddy, release my father from that contract, be a dutiful wife, and eventually a loving mother. Who knows? Maybe Ted and I can even grow to love each other. It seems my life is planned out, and all I have to do is roll with it.

One night while I am looking at bridesmaids dresses, my brother comes into my room. I know something is going on because of the way he keeps on straightening my shelves. Shane is a compulsive organizer, and whenever he is nervous he automatically finds something to organize. I sit up "What's up, Shane O' Mac?" He sighs "I've been thinking, and I think I know how to get you out of this wedding." I look at him sharply "Don't be silly." Shane runs his hands through his hair, which has a few stray strands of gray hair in it now. My brother bites his lip "I'm serious." Then I finally see the solemn look in his eye, and the determined set of his jaw, and I realize that he is in fact deadly serious. My voice drops to a whisper subconsciously "What are you talking about?" Shane nods "It's obvious there is no sort of loophole in this contract. Trust me, I've reread it a hundred times. So I finally realized that there can't be a wedding if...." He glances at me, and I can see him struggling to say the next words "If there isn't a bride." I give him an odd look "What are you saying?" Shane once again runs his hand through his hair as he begins to alphabetize my vast collection of dvds. I grasp him hands "What are you saying, Shane?" He sighs "I'm saying that you should think of taking a vacation to London, or Italy, or Spain. A vacation somewhere besides here. My thinking is that if you stay away long enough then maybe Ted will give it up." I bite my lip "Do you really think it could work?" Shane grins "Yes. I really do." My mind clouds with doubt "No, Ted won't let me go that easily. That man has to much pride and ego to let me slide right out from under him." Shane's voice has a new edge "He won't know what hit him until you're already on the other side of the world. What can he do then anyway?" I feel a small bubble of hope grow inside of me "Shane....could I really get away from this?" He nods "Yes. You could." I hug him tightly as a tear escapes out of the corner of my eye, and for once I am not crying out of anger, fear, or anguish. This time it's out of pure, sweet relief.

Two weeks later, Shane and I drive to the airport in the middle of the night. We are the only two that have any idea of what I'm about to do. I glance at my brother "London, here I come." Shane smiles "I really don't want you to go. You are my baby sister after all." I smile as I rest my head on his shoulder "Don't worry, I'll be thinking about you while I'm out shopping." Shane rolls his eyes "You're ridiculous." Shane escorts me through the airport, and when we have to say goodbye he actually has a few tears in his eyes "Get on that plane, and don't look back Lizzie." I hug him tightly "I love you, Shane O' Mac." He releases me as we hear "Flight 497 is now boarding." My brother smiles "I can handle things here. You just go and be a twenty year old girl." I turn and walk towards the terminal. When I find my seat on the plane, my phone begins to ring. Teddy is calling me. I smirk as I decline his call. When my plane begins to ascend, I hear a woman with a British accent announce "We will be arriving in London in about seven hours, for your entertainment we are playing a movie." I sit back and begin to enjoy the movie as I feel my first true taste of freedom. I look out my window, and kiss my life goodbye.