A New Beginning

Two Months Later
It has been two months since Teddy and I completely abolished Ted from our lives. We have been at peace ever since, and we are now preparing for the birth of our little girl. We have been so busy preparing for Claire, celebrating Christmas, and also celebrating Liam's second birthday in January. It is now I should be going into labor any day now, and I am even more nervous than I was for Liam. Finally, the day comes that I feel that familiar deep stirring within me. It is a cold day in February, and I am very apprehensive. Teddy keeps assuring me as we make our way to the hospital that everything will be fine. Once we are in my hospital room, and my family joins us I begin to relax a little. My brother comforts me "Why are you so nervous?" I shrug "I don't know. I just am." He kisses my temple "Everything's going to be okay!" I nod as I focus on getting through a contraction. After a total of ten hours in labor my doctor tells me that I can finally start pushing. Teddy is holding my hand, and he pats my sweaty forehead with a paper towel. Another twenty minutes of pushing passes until I give one last strong push. I sigh with relief when I hear the sounds of Claire's cry. The nurses take her away to be cleaned, and I lean back in bed. I smile at Teddy softly "We did it." When I am handed my daughter, I am utterly shocked by her radiant beauty. She is so perfect. She has a small tuft of blonde hair on her head, wide green eyes, and a rosebud mouth that is wide open as she cries. Claire looks up at me curiously, and my heart simply swells with joy. Teddy chuckles "Wow." I nod "She looks just like you." He nods "Wow." I can't help but giggle at the way my husband is simply in awe of our daughter.

When everyone comes in to see Claire, she is cradled in my arms. My father is the first one to hold her, and he simply cries. Everyone fawns over her beauty, and also how petite she is. Shane wraps his arm around me "I told you not to worry." I smile "I know." That night, I am woken up by a sound that I hear on the edge of consciousness. It must be a nurse closing a door down the hall, or Teddy shifting in the chair next to the bed. I get out of bed, and I check on Claire in her bassinet next to me. She is sleeping peacefully, and I can't help but smile. My daughter really does look like her father. I gingerly lift her out of the bassinet, and cradle her in my arms "I love you, Claire. You are so loved by mommy and daddy. Your big brother loves you too. You'll get to meet him tomorrow." I look over at Teddy to see him watching me "You're so beautiful." I can't help but smile "I love you." Teddy stands up and makes his way over to Claire and I. I feel his arms a wrap themselves around me, and for a moment we just stare at our daughter "How do you think Liam will react?" I chuckle "Either very well or very badly. I think he will be jealous. After all he has been our entire world his entire life." Teddy smiles "Maybe. But I think when he sees how happy mommy and daddy are, and he meets his beautiful little sister, he will be the happiest little boy in the world." Teddy chuckles "Thats true." I can't help but grin at my adorable husband "You are amazing." He pecks my lips, and then we go back to admiring our daughter.

The next morning, my brother brings Liam into my hospital room. I have asked Teddy to walk up and down the hallway with Claire for a few minutes to give Liam and I some time alone. My son instantly crawls into my lap "Mama! Mama!"  I laugh at how excited he is to see me. We spend the next ten minutes playing with the buttons on the hospital bed, sharing hugs and kisses, and me answering his never ending questions. Finally, the door opens and Teddy walks in with Claire in his arms. Liam eyes the pink bundle curiously "That Claire, mama?" I nod "Yeah! It's your sister." He smiles "My sister!" Teddy sits on the edge of the bed, and Liam happily leans over Teddy's arm to see Claire. When he sees the small baby girl he giggles loudly. I can't help but laugh at how excited he is. I lift Liam back onto my lap, and Teddy passes Claire over to me. I let Liam hold his sister, with my assistance, and he looks like he was just handed the world. Teddy kisses me "I love you, Elizabeth." I smile happily "I love you, Teddy."