A Truece

When I go back inside, I see Teddy sitting on the couch reading a book. I sit down next to him "I'm sorry. I know you didn't have much choice either. I'm just so angry. How could our parents do this?" Teddy sighs as he sets the book down "Elizabeth, I don't expect much out of this. I know you don't love me, and you may not ever love me, but do we have to be bitter? Wouldn't it be easier if we could just enjoy the time we have here away from our families?" I nod "It would, but every time I look at this" I hold up my left hand to show him my wedding ring "I feel like it weighs a thousand pounds." Teddy takes my hand in his and slips my wedding band and engagement ring off of my finger. He then proceeds to remove his own wedding band. I look at him curiously as he places the three rings into a little box on the coffee table. When he looks at me again a small smile has appeared on his face "How do you feel now?" I smile "Lighter." Teddy chuckles "What do you want to do today?" I smile shyly "Honestly? I just want to sit on the beach and do nothing." He smiles "Sounds good to me." I go to the bedroom and change into my bathing suit (in media). When I go outside, Teddy is already settled in one of the two Adirondack chairs. He is writing in a notebook, and smiles when he notices the copy of the great gatsby in my hand. I smile too as I settle myself in the chair. We sit in a comfortable silence for two hours before Teddy stands and stretches. I chastise myself when I catch myself noticing his impressive upper body. He sits down at my feet "I've never liked that book." I smile "Well then you haven't read it correctly. He quirks a brow "What?" I grin "The love that Gatsby has for Daisy is beautiful. Gatsby has built this image of himself his entire life. In his mind, he is the son of God. But when he meets Daisy, she becomes the one thing he loves more then himself. When he kisses her for the first time, he gives up that image of himself, and from then on its her. Everything he does in life is for her. That's why he throws all of the extravagant parties, he's hoping that Daisy will wander in one night and they can regain the love they once had in Louisville. It's beautiful the way he loves her." Teddy furrows his brow "You talk about the book as if these people are real." I smile softly "Who says their not?" Teddy turns around so his back is to me, and rests his head on my knee "Read to me." I grin "I'll start from the beginning: In my younger and more vulnerable years..."

After we get halfway through the book, we both decide to go back inside. As Teddy changes, I sit on the couch and check my phone. I see that I have a few texts from my friends, and one from Ted. I check Ted's text first, and my mood instantly drops. His text says: "How is my precious daughter in law?" I text him back: "Great! How are things at home?" I set my phone down, and I choose to ignore it when it beeps a few minutes later. I don't have to put up with Ted here. Right now I'm free from my family, and I'm definitely free from Ted. Teddy comes into the kitchen and sees my Solemn look. He rubs my back "What is it?" I shake my head "Nothing." I fake a smile, but he sees right through it "I haven't been married two days and my wife is already lying to me." I chuckle "Teddy..." He sighs "What is it?" I sigh "I'm having a great time. I really am. But when we go home...I don't want to go back to hating you." He frowns "You don't have to hate me. Why should life be any different then it is here?" I look at him sharply "You know why. Your father will never stop his torment." Teddy smiles softly "I'll make you a deal. If we go home, and you end up absolutely hating life, and even begin to hate me...." He cups my cheek "Then you just say the word and we can pack up and I will take you anywhere on this earth." I smile "Thank you." He hugs me "We can't hate each other. I won't let that happen." I hug him tightly, and for the first time I feel like someone truly understands me. My entire life I have been Elizabeth, the billion dollar princess, Vince McMahons daughter. No one has seen just how miserable and broken I am inside, but Teddy has seen it. I think it's because he's just as broken.