Traces of Love?

Over the next few days, Teddy and I grow closer and closer. We share jokes, stories, and even secrets. It is not until the night before we leave to go back to Connecticut that things really change between us. Teddy and I are sitting on the beach watching the sky darken when he takes my hand "We go home tomorrow." I can't help but frown. We had agreed on a house in Connecticut, but we had to wait a few weeks until we could move in because we were having it remodeled. While we are waiting for the work to get done, Ted has generously offered us the guest house (in media) at his home. I am dreading seeing that man again. When I don't respond to Teddy, he leans his head on mine. When he finally speaks, his voice is rough with what seems to be a mix of desperation and hope "You remember what I said, right?" I nod. I did remember Teddy telling me that as soon as I said the word, we could get up and go. I remember the sadness in his eyes when he said "I won't let you come to hate me again." Teddy sighs, and I notice that his hand is trembling slightly. I look up at him "You don't want to go home, do you?" He looks at me, and for the first time I can see just how broken he is on the inside. "No." I lean against him as he goes on "My entire life I have been preparing for my career. My father made sure of that. He used to put me in the ring, and force me to fight him. I was forced to work out until I threw up and passed out. My dad wanted me to be an unstoppable fighting machine. So he put me through all kinds of shit." I press even closer to him "He has these extravagant dreams for me. My father wants a legacy. I will become a champion, our son will be a champion, and so on. My father wants to be remembered even when he's retired." I hide my face in Teddy's shoulder as an eerie silence settles around us "I am so sorry. I had no idea." Teddy takes a deep breath as he wraps an arm around me "I'm so glad I have you. You're so independent and strong. You aren't afraid to be your own person. You want to become more then another McMahon." I smile "You never have to worry about me hating you, I promise. I will always be here." Teddy turns to look at me. He is no longer the arrogant, strong willed Ted Dibiase I know. I don't see the usual gleam in his eyes. All I see is a man with a broken soul. I wrap my arms around his neck, and I hug him tightly. We are both in the same place. We didn't choose our lives, our lives picked us. Maybe we are just two fools trying to make sense of the world around us. All I do know is that in that moment, we knew each other in a way that I knew I would never know anyone again. We separated, and when we did Teddy cupped my face "You're incredible, you know that?" I blush softly as he studies my face. Before I can stop him, Ted kisses my lips softly. I am surprised, yet I don't exactly want to pull away. I rest my hands on his chest, and he seems to think that I am pushing him away. He quickly backs away "I'm sorry." I peck his lips "Don't worry about it." He smiles softly, and I can almost see us finding some sort of a happy ending.

When we arrive at Ted's house the next afternoon, he greets us very jovially. I can't help but cringe when he kisses my cheek "You are looking very well, my dear. I knew it would do you some good to be out in the sun with the sea air." Teddy wraps his arm around my waist, and pulls me to his side "I think we'll go get settled in the guest house." Ted smirks "Ah. I see, you wanna break it in the Dibiase way." He punctuates the sentence with a wink, and I am utterly repulsed. Teddy leads me to the guest house, and when we are alone I visibly cringe. Teddy hugs me "I'm sorry." I shake my head "It's okay." When we unpack, we sit down on the couch, and watch a movie. It is not long though that Ted calls us to the house for dinner. Teddy frowns when we walk in to the dining room, and his father grins "There they are." Teddy and I sit down "So when can I be expecting a grandson?" I almost choke on my drink "Pardon?" Mary smiles "Well of course, you will be having kids right away." Teddy frowns "We want to wait." Ted frowns "Why wait? I promise you that nothing can bring you more joy than a baby." I force myself to smile "We just want to get used to married life first." Ted grins at me "So how did you like California?" I force myself to appear happy "It was wonderful. Thank you for letting us use it." Ted smirks "You're too kind, my dear. It was the least I could do." I smile as I go back to eating my dinner. I am still appalled by the way he just blatantly asked about a grandchild. I can see now that Teddy was right, Ted wants a legacy, and he's counting on me to give it to him.