Home Again

When I get off the plane, Ted and my father are waiting for me. I stand in front of them as Ted's eyes scan me "You look like you've gained a few pounds, I hope your wedding dress can still fit." My face remains frozen as my father sighs "Elizabeth, thank God you're home." He hugs me tightly, but I don't hug him. I go out to Ted's car, and we drive home. My brother and sister greet me solemnly. Shane and Stephanie hug me, and I actually hug them back. They had no fault in this. They were my allies. When Shane embraces me, he whispers lowly in my ear "I'm so sorry. I tried." I hug him tightly "I know you did." When he releases me, I find my way up to my bedroom. I slowly unpack my things, and when I'm done I open my closet to see my wedding dress. Months ago, I would have felt hate, anger, and rage....but now....all I feel is a sort of emptiness. I take the dress, and stand in front of the mirror. I lift the dress up to my body, and try to envision myself as a bride. An image comes to mind of myself looking absolutely beautiful on my wedding day, but I can't muster up any feeling of happiness. I sigh as I put my dress back in my closet. My brother comes into my room "Hey." I force a smile "Hey." He sits down on my bed "So you're getting married in three weeks." I nod "Yeah." Shane shakes his head "Just promise me one thing, Lizzie." I sit down next to him "What, Shane O' Mac?" He takes my hand in his "Never become one of them." I nod "Never."

3 Weeks Later
I am woken up early the morning of my wedding by my sister. She drags me out of bed, and allows me to quickly shovel food into my mouth before she plops me down in a chair. My bathroom has been turned into a first rate beauty salon, the counter is completely covered with hair products, makeup, and three different curling irons. My sister puts my hair up in an elaborate up do, and then does my makeup. When I am finally allowed to look in the mirror, I no longer see the young 21 year old girl. I see a graceful woman. My sister helps me into my dress, and makes sure to tightly tie the corset much to my disdain. After I have my dress on, I slip on my heels. Stephanie smiles "You look so beautiful." My mother comes into the bathroom, and smiles "You really do look beautiful." I don't respond to my mother, even as she puts my veil in my hair. As she lowers it over my face a stray tear falls down my cheek. My mother grips my hands painfully "No tears, Elizabeth. This is a happy day." My face hardens "Maybe for you, but for me....this is a death sentence." My mother glares at me "That doesn't matter. You are going to go outside, and smile, and act as if this is the best day of your life." My mother leaves, and my sister takes my hand gently "You are a McMahon, now dry those eyes. We do not show weakness." I nod "You're right." My sister along with Maryse, Stacy, Brooke, and Hannah, all join me as I walk downstairs to the double French doors that lead outside. I will go down the brick steps, and onto our expansive floral garden where Teddy will be waiting. All of the groomsmen are there as well, and one by one they all go down the aisle. My father offers me his arm, and I take it "So is this it? The moment I say "I do" your debt to Ted is paid?" My dad nods "That's it." I look straight ahead as I raise my chin "Well I hope it was worth it...because you've lost me forever." My dad doesn't have a chance to respond because my music starts to play. We step outside, and down the brick steps. Everyone turns to look at me, and I grin as if this is the best day of my life. My father passes me off to Teddy, and we turn towards each other. I hand my bouquet to Stephanie, and take Ted's hands. When it is time for us to say our vows, I almost puke. My vows were written for me by the bastard himself, Ted. I smile "Teddy, we have known each other all our lives, and now this day has finally come for us to be married. I promise to always stand by you, and support your decisions. I will always be here for you, no matter what the future brings, and above all I promise to love you through anything we might face. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us, and I cannot wait for our life together to finally begin." Ted says his vows, although I barely hear them as I prepare to say the dreaded words. The priest turns to Ted "Ted, do you take this woman as your wife, and do you promise to cherish her, comfort her, and protect her as long as you both shall live?" Ted smiles "I do." The priest then turns to me "Elizabeth, do you take this man as your husband? Do you promise to cherish him, love him, and honor him for as long as you both shall live?" I hold my head high, and I can almost hear my family biting their tongues. I take a deep breath "I do."