seven

Lauren walked slowly down the hallway towards the soft whispers she had heard. Peering into the living room, she blinked a few times as lightning flicked through the home and lit it up for a few moments.

The scene in front of her was almost angelic. Camila sat in the middle of the room, clad only in her underwear and what Lauren made out to be one of her sheer white blouses. She couldn't help but smile when she realized Camila must have just grabbed the first item of clothing she found to throw overtop of her sports bra.

Besides the glow of the moon though their windows, the only other thing lighting up the room was the dull light coming from the laptop placed in front of Camila. The small girl mumbled something under her breath, gently pushing Wolf away when he tried to gain her attention.

Lauren raised an eyebrow, taking a few steps out from behind the hallway to make her presence known. Camila, however, was too focused on the task at hand to notice the green eyed girl until her soft voice filled the room.

"What'cha up to?" Lauren whispered, kneeling down next to her girlfriend. Camila gasped, her hands immediately grabbing the laptop and turning away from Lauren.

"Nothing," Camila whispered. She looked up at her girlfriend nervously. "Why are you awake?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Lauren said quietly, concern laced in her words. "Is something wrong? Did the storm wake you up?"

Camila shook her head, looking down at the laptop screen anxiously. "You should go to bed," she whispered. Lauren tilted her head to the side.

"What's going on?" Lauren asked, suddenly becoming more concerned. She scooted forwards to try to see the laptop but Camila quickly moved it once more. Lauren raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing," Camila shook her head once more. It was then that the green eyed girl saw tears forming in the younger girl's eyes, threatening to spill over.

Camila grew confused when Lauren quietly got to her feet and disappeared out of the room. She quickly turned back to the laptop, wiping her eyes and trying to focus through her blurred vision.

It was only when she heard footsteps reproaching that she looked up to find Lauren kneeling next to her, placing two glass on the hardwood floor.

"Let's talk," Lauren nodded softly, taking the bottle of wine Dinah had given them out from under her arm. She poured a small amount in each of the glasses, gently sliding one to Camila. "What's got you up this late?"

Camila studied the glass, cautiously wrapping her fingers around it and bringing it to her lips. Lauren watched as the small girl took a sip, running her tongue over her teeth a few times to capture the taste. The green eyed girl breathed a sigh of relief once Camila lifted her glass for another sip.

"It is nothing, Lo," Camila shook her head, swallowing the lump in her throat. Lauren gave her a look that only Camila understood. A look that said 'I know better than to believe that.'

Gently, Lauren reached out and placed one hand on the laptop, looking up at Camila for approval. When the small girl simply hung her head down, Lauren slid the laptop in front of her and leaned down to study the screen.

"What is this?" Lauren tilted her head to the side. She set her wine down and moved the cursor around the screen. "Surveys?" The girl looked up at Camila, who was hanging her head down guiltily. "I don't understand," Lauren said softly.

"I need money," Camila whispered, almost inaudibly. Lauren almost didn't catch the small girl's words, but when she did, she grew even more confused.

"Money for what?" Lauren asked. "We have money. We both just started jobs."

"I need a lot of money," Camila said softly, shaking her head. Lauren raised an eyebrow.