fifteen

Camila was a work of art.

Lauren decided this while she was painting the smaller girl. Every brush stroke, every single detail on the canvas contributed to making her favorite creation yet. There was just something about the real Camila, though. Something Lauren couldn't capture with a paintbrush.

But she tried her best. Because Camila deserved to be immortalized. Whether it was through painting, or writing, or some other art, the girl needed to be remembered.

It was the direct middle of the day, meaning that the sun was high in the sky and sending beams of light searing through the window and making Camila appear as if she was glowing.

There was one part of the painting that Lauren focused on the most, though. Camila's eyes.

The smaller girls brown eyes were so expressive. Lauren didn't know that someone's eyes could hold so much emotion until she met Camila. Whenever she saw her wife's brown orbs, she was met with solace and adoration.

So Lauren spent extra time on Camila's eyes, mixing together various shades of brown and trying her absolute best to capture their depth. She leaned in so close to her canvas that her nose was almost touching the material. Using small strokes of her brush, she looked up every few moments to study Camila's eyes before turning her attention back to her painting.

When she finally managed to create the perfect shade of brown, Lauren began adding in the smaller details. The crinkles around Camila's eyes when she smiled, the specific shape of her lips, the small strands of hair that fell down her shoulders. With every stoke of her brush, the painting became more and more defined.

She had nearly finished painting when her phone buzzed on the table between them. Camila leaned forwards to grab it, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It is Maia," she nodded softly and held up the phone. Lauren motioned for her to answer it, setting her brush down and wiping her hands on her jeans. Camila brought the phone up to her ear.

"Hello?" the small girl tilted her head to the side. Lauren was so busy nitpicking her painting that she didn't notice the way Camila's eyes widened a few moments later.

"Got it," Camila nodded quickly. She set the phone back down and hopped off of the stool, scrambling to tug her leggings back on under her long sweater. It was only then that Lauren turned around and raised an eyebrow at her.

"What are you doing? What'd she say?" Lauren asked in confusion. Camila shook her head and grabbed her jacket from the corner of the room.

"We need to go," Camila bit her lip nervously and looked up at Lauren. "She said that there is an emergency. She needs someone to watch Lucas."

"Wait, what?" Lauren's eyes widened. Camila grabbed her hand, pulling her out of the room and towards the front door. Lauren quickly caught up with what was going on, hurrying to slip on her shoes before jogging out to the car after Camila.

"Did she say anything else?" Lauren bit her lip. Camila sat in the passenger seat next to her, tapping her foot anxiously as Lauren quickly pulled out of their short driveway and took off down the road.

"No," Camila muttered, shaking her head. "I am worried," she ran a hand through her hair and turned to Lauren, her big brown eyes searching for some sort of reassurance.

"It's okay," Lauren quickly grabbed her hand and squeezed it. "I'll get us there as fast as we can, yeah?" She made a sharp turn, driving a little faster than usual to get them to their destination quicker.

Camila tapped her foot impatiently the entire drive, so many possible scenarios cycling through her mind. The second the car pulled up in front of the house, Camila practically leaped out of her seat and sprinted to the front door. Lauren followed close behind.