twenty four

"Stay."

Lauren's breath caught in her throat and she looked down at the smaller girl, who had curled her fingers around her wrist. Camila bit her lip.

"You want me to...?" Lauren trailed off as soon as Camila nodded.

"Are you okay?" the green eyed girl whispered, scooting back on the bed. There were still so many questions running through her head, but her first priority was always Camila. As long as Camila was okay, her questions could wait.

Instead of responding, the smaller girl just tugged on Lauren's arm, making her lay back on the bed. The moment she did, Camila was curled up next to her, burying her head in her shoulder.

It was at this point that Lauren realized how scared the smaller girl appeared to be. She quickly wrapped her arms around the girl, feeling how fast her heart was beating.

"Hey, Camz, breathe," Lauren whispered. The smaller girl lifted her head, anxiety flickering in your eyes. "What are you so afraid of?"

Camila immediately shook her head and buried it in Lauren's shoulder once more. Biting her lip, the green eyed girl propped herself up and scooted back so she was leaning against the headboard with Camila in her arms.

"It's just us," Lauren said softly, absentmindedly running her fingers through the smaller girl's hair. "You can tell me anything, y'know."

"I know," Camila mumbled against Lauren's shoulder. This comforted the green eyed girl somehow. At least Camila was talking. At this point, that was progress.

"I just wanna help you," Lauren sighed, leaning her head back and gazing up at the ceiling. Camila didn't respond. The smaller girl just took a deep breath and squeezed her eyes shut.

Lauren couldn't remember how long they laid there for. The comfortable silence between them had nearly lulled Lauren to sleep. But, just as it began to get dark outside, but girls were startled by the knock at the door.

Camila's eyes immediately widened, causing Lauren to grab her hand to reassure her she was okay. The smaller girl met her eyes with a panicked expression.

"Just relax," Lauren whispered, slowly standing up and running a hand through her hair. "I'll be right back," she leaned down and pressed a kiss to the smaller girl's forehead.

Camila watched with eyes full of fear as Lauren disappeared from the bedroom. Wolf immediately appeared at her side, nudging her hand to demand her attention.

Meanwhile, Lauren ran a hand through her hair as she jogged over to the door. The second she turned the doorknob, someone practically pushed the door the rest of the way open.

"What the-?" Lauren began, moments later being cut off by a small blur that whizzed past her.

"Jeremiah what did we talk about!?"

Lauren jumped, whipping her head back around to look at the older woman that stood on the front porch.

"I'm so sorry," the woman breathed, shaking her head. "I don't know what's gotten into him."

Still utterly confused, Lauren glanced back to the hallway where the young boy had disappeared down. She bit her lip, turning back to the woman in the doorway.

"I... I don't understand..." Lauren admitted, furrowing her eyebrows together.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry," the woman quickly shook her head. "My son, Jeremiah, is in Camila's class. He's-,"

"Is he okay?" Lauren interrupted, suddenly remembering how Camila had been the one to carry the smaller boy out of the building. Her heart dropped in her chest at the thought.