sixteen

"Goodnight, Lo," Camila whispered, rubbing her eyes and curling up in the older girl's side. As always, she snaked her hands up Lauren's sleeves. It was just a natural part of their sleeping position now.

"Night, Camz," Lauren yawned and gazed at Camila as she melted into her. The smaller girl was always the first to fall asleep. Not that Lauren minded. She always slept easier with Camila by her side.

But for some reason, tonight was different. Just as she would start to fall asleep, her body would jerk itself awake again. When this happened multiple times, Lauren groaned and rolled onto her back.

She gazed up at the ceiling, trying to will herself to fall asleep. Unfortunately, she was wide awake, and nothing she seemed to tell herself could help her fix this.

Sighing, Lauren carefully peeled herself from Camila's sleeping figure and adjusted the blankets back over the smaller girl. She made sure to be quiet as she slipped out of the room and down to the guest bedroom.

Flipping on the lights in the art studio, Lauren plugged in her phone and turned on her painting playlist. Camila had helped her put it together one afternoon when the smaller girl decided they needed music for when Lauren painted.

'Team' by Lorde came on first, and Lauren hummed along softly as she gathered her paintbrushes together. She kept the lights dim, enjoying the blue moonlight that came in through the windows.

Just as she started thinking of things to paint, a small meow distracted her. She groaned, hurrying over to the door to make sure Wolf didn't get in. But when she turned around, she realized the white cat had made himself at home atop the stool where Camila had previously sat. Rolling her eyes, she raised a finger in warning at him before returning to her easel.

In her nighttime delirium, Lauren absentmindedly dipped her brush into purple and swirled it around on the canvas. She wasn't quite sure what she was doing, but it kept her occupied for quite a while. She got so lost in her painting that she didn't even notice when the playlist ended.

What she did notice, though, was the clap of thunder that sent Wolf flying down the hallway. Furrowing her eyebrows, Lauren lifted her head and glanced out the window, where rain was pouring down relentlessly. A flash of lightning lit up the room for a split second.

Biting her lip, Lauren set her paintbrush down and made her way back down the hallway. She was surprised when she opened the door to the bedroom slightly and found Camila still fast asleep, with Wolf now curled up in her side.

Maybe she just hadn't heard the thunder. Lauren knew how badly Camila hated storms. She remembered the days back at the apartment when Camila would practically hide at the sign of a storm.

Another large boom of thunder disproved her theory, though. Both Lauren and Wolf jumped when the house practically shook, but the smaller girl just shifted slightly in her sleep, hair sprawled across her pillow.

Lauren raised an eyebrow, unsure of how to feel about this. Glancing at Wolf one last time, she closed the door quietly and headed back down the hallway, flinching when another clap of thunder echoed throughout the house unexpectedly.

The green eyed girl put on music once more, turning it up louder to try and drown out the storm raging on outside. She turned back to her painting, trying to concentrate as best as she could, but failing. She was too bothered by the thoughts circling through her head.

What if Camila didn't need her anymore?

Lauren thought it was crazy, at first. But as she pondered the subject even more, she found herself setting down her brush and leaning against the table for a moment, deep in thought.