forty four

"You are supposed to stir it."

"I am?"

"Yeah," Camila giggled, raising an eyebrow at Lauren, who was rushing to bring the last of the dishes over to the table.

"Shit," the green eyed girl shook her head, biting her lip and glancing back at the kitchen.

"I will do it," Camila nodded quickly. "You go get Presley dressed."

"You're the best," Lauren breathed a sigh of relief, quickly untying her apron and planting a quick kiss on her wife's cheek as she hurried back into the living room to retrieve the youngest member of the family.

Camila, however, remained in the kitchen. Bringing her hand up to press against her cheek, she smiled softly. The brown eyed girl couldn't help but laugh when Lauren scooped Presley off of her spot on the couch, playfully spinning the smaller girl around before disappearing down the hallway.

Quickly snapping back into reality, Camila hurried back over to the stove. It was Thanksgiving Day, and they were expecting their guests any minute now.

As if one cue, just as Camila brought the last few platters over to the dining room table, the doorbell echoed throughout the house.

"Got it!" Camila called down the hallway before jogging over to the door. She peered out the window first, smiling widely when she saw Ally and Troy on the other side. She quickly pulled open the door, allowing Troy inside, who carried the turkey in a large container.

"Hey Mila," Ally smiled, pulling the brown eyed girl into a hug. "Where's Lauren?"

"She is getting Presley ready," Camila nodded, closing the door behind the girl once she entered the house.

As if on cue, small footsteps bounded out of the hallway and into the foyer. Presley slid to a stop in front of Camila, looking up at her with a shy smile.

"Wait!" Lauren's voice rang from the other end of the hallway. The green eyed girl soon appeared into the foyer, a white scrunchie in her hand. "Pigtail down!" she cried dramatically, kneeling down next to Presley so she could secure the other half of her hair up into a wavy pigtail. The smaller girl giggled, crinkling her nose and looking at the girl beside her.

"There we go," Lauren laughed, smoothing out the smaller girl's hair. "You look beautiful."

"I do?" Presley turned to face Lauren and tilted her head to the side.

"Of course you do," Lauren laughed, standing up and running a hand through her own hair. "You're glowing. I think that's your color."

"I picked it out myself," Presley nodded proudly, spinning around in the pastel green dress that she adorned.

A little over ten minutes later, Maia and Toby arrived, and everyone was seated around the dining room table. With the exception of Dinah and Normani, who always seemed to show up late to every event.

"So when's the wedding?" Lauren asked, giving Ally a soft smile from across the table. Everybody else nodded in interest, except for Camila and Presley, who were too busy trying to convince Lucas to try cranberry sauce.

"We're aiming for June of next year," Ally smiled shyly, glancing at Troy, who sat beside her. "We wanted to do something pretty small on the beach with just our closest family and friends."

"We'd rather save the money we'd use on a huge wedding and put it towards the honeymoon," Troy nodded. Lauren bit her lip, glancing at Camila, who was still failing at making a spoonful of cranberry sauce look appealing to the toddler.