fifty one

"I see Canola."

Camila whispered softly and pointed up at the sky, tracing the pathway from the north star to the small, almost invisible star that they'd come to recognize. The two girls now sat on top of the parked car, taking the time to appreciate the first few hours of quiet in the morning. They hadn't had much time together the past few days.

"Where?" Lauren asked, leaning forwards and following Camila's gaze. The smaller girl reached over, gently tilting Lauren's head upwards. Pointing to the star, the smaller girl giggled when a soft 'oh' escaped past Lauren's lips.

"Wait, that reminds me!" Lauren gasped, startling Camila beside her. The green eyed girl quickly moved to scramble off the top of the car. Camila watched her in confusion, but Lauren was already digging around in the car before she could ask any questions.

"What are you-?" Camila was cut off when Lauren hopped back up to her feet, hiding something behind her back and holding out her hand to help Camila down from the roof of the car. The brown eyed girl raised a questioning eyebrow, hanging her legs down from the edge and allowing Lauren to help her hop down to the ground. Brushing off her hands, she turned to her wife with a confused look on her face.

"Okay, so... I, uh, I don't really like giving presents in front of everyone," Lauren stumbled over her words nervously. "I just-I'd rather have it be more private. I don't feel the need to show off... I mean, I want to show you off, but I just-," she grew frustrated with her inability to express herself and blushed nervously.

"I just wanted this to be an us kinda thing, if that makes sense," Lauren laughed, rocking back and forth on her toes. Both of her hands were holding something behind her back, and Camila gave her a comforting smile. "I, uh, this is for you," Lauren added after a few moments of silence, holding out a small box between them.

It made an odd rattling noise, and Camila tilted her head to the side out of curiosity. Carefully, she took the box into her own hands, growing even more perplexed by the odd weight inside of it.

Lauren bit her lip and watched nervously as the smaller girl pried the flaps of the box open with one hand. Camila's face distorted slightly when she peered inside, finding only pieces of shattered glass. She looked up, tilting her head to the side once more. "I-I think it is broken, Lo," she said softly, not wanting to disappoint the older girl.

"Oh no, babe," Lauren quickly shook her head and took a step forward, opening the box more and glancing back up at Camila. "It's supposed to be like this. Do you know what it is?"

"Broken glass?" Camila tried her best not to act confused, but she had no idea what was going on.

"Well, yeah," the green eyed girl laughed. "But it's more than just that. Do you know what it's from?"

Camila simply shook her head.

"Okay, well, do you remember what we did after the wedding?" Lauren asked, biting her lip and shaking the box slightly. The glass rattled around and Camila studied it carefully.

"We did a lot of things, Lo," Camila laughed quietly, reaching into the box and holding a piece of the glass up to the light carefully. Lauren watched her with a soft smile. "I do not know."

"Think, Camz. On top of the mantle in the living room," Lauren reminded her, watching as Camila's face softened slightly.

"You broke the honeymoon jar?" Camila's eyebrows raised and she looked at her wife in shock. "But I thought that is where we put the money for the honeymoon?"

"I broke it," Lauren nodded slowly. Camila's eyebrows furrowed together.

"Why would you do that?" the smaller girl asked, utterly confused and somewhat concerned that all the hours she'd spent counting coins had gone to waste.