Chapter 104

The grand ballroom of the Khan mansion was a dazzling display of wealth and opulence. Crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceiling, casting a soft glow over the polished marble floors.

 The air was thick with the scent of expensive perfume, mingling with the aromas of a lavish spread of food that lined one side of the room. The soft murmur of conversation was punctuated by the occasional clink of champagne glasses, as the city’s elite mingled and networked.Ibrahim moved through the crowd with the effortless grace of someone who was used to being the center of attention. 

His sharp, tailored suit accentuated his tall, commanding presence, and his every move was watched with admiration and a hint of wariness by those around him. 

As he approached the corner where Mr. Raichand, a prominent businessman and old family friend, was holding court, he forced a smile onto his face, hiding the storm of thoughts swirling in his mind.“Mr. Raichand,” Ibrahim greeted warmly, extending his hand.Raichand, a man in his late fifties with salt-and-pepper hair and a calculating gaze, took Ibrahim’s hand in a firm grip. “Ibrahim, it’s good to see you,” and congratulations he replied, his voice smooth but laced with a hint of something unreadable.

The two men exchanged the usual pleasantries, discussing business ventures, mutual acquaintances, and the state of the economy.

 But Ibrahim’s mind was only half-present, his thoughts constantly drifting to Mehak, who was somewhere in the crowd. He could feel her presence even when he couldn’t see her, an almost magnetic pull that had him glancing over his shoulder every few minutes.“I’ve heard your business is expanding into new territories,” Raichand remarked, his tone casual but his eyes sharp, always assessing. 

“Quite the achievement.”Ibrahim nodded, his smile tight. “We’re working on a few new projects,” he replied smoothly. “It’s been a busy year.”As they continued to talk, Raichand’s attention wandered, his gaze sweeping over the room as if searching for something—or someone. 

Suddenly, his eyes locked onto a figure across the room, and he stiffened slightly, his expression shifting from one of polite interest to stunned disbelief.Following Raichand’s gaze, Ibrahim turned to see what had caught the older man’s attention.

 When his eyes landed on Mehak, standing near the buffet table, all thoughts of business and small talk evaporated from his mind. She looked ethereal in her traditional attire, the intricate embroidery on her outfit catching the light, her hair cascading down her back in soft waves. She was talking to Sameera, but her eyes seemed distant, as if her thoughts were elsewhere.Raichand’s eyes narrowed as he watched her, his mind racing. He had heard rumors about Ibrahim’s would-be wife being beautiful  but seeing the woman in person stirred something within him. His calculating mind began to piece things together, the puzzle slowly taking shape.“So that’s her,” Raichand murmured to himself, a wry smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

 “The future Mrs. Khan… interesting.”Ibrahim, still caught up in his own thoughts, didn’t immediately notice Raichand’s change in demeanor. But when Sameera caught his eye and motioned for him to join them, Ibrahim snapped out of his reverie.“Excuse me, Mr. Raichand,” Ibrahim said, offering a polite nod. “I need to attend to something.”Raichand’s smile widened, a glint of something almost predatory in his eyes.

 “Of course, of course. Don’t let me keep you.”As Ibrahim walked away, Raichand watched him go, his mind already plotting, analyzing what this new development could mean for him.Ibrahim crossed the room with purpose, his eyes never leaving Mehak. As he reached her, Sameera stepped aside, giving him a knowing smile.“You should feed her, Ibrahim,” Sameera said softly, her voice filled with a motherly warmth. “It’s about mehak after all.”Ibrahim smiled, his eyes softening as he looked at Mehak. 

“I’ll take it from here,” he said, his voice gentle.Mehak looked up at him, her eyes searching his face. She could see the affection there, the way he looked at her as if she was the only person in the room. It made her heart ache with conflicting emotions—gratitude, confusion, and something else she wasn’t ready to name.As Ibrahim picked up a piece of food and brought it to her lips, the room seemed to shrink around them. She hesitated for a moment, then leaned forward slightly, accepting the bite..

 Ibrahim’s smile widened, a rare, genuine warmth that melted some of the tension in her chest.“Thank you,” she whispered, her voice barely audible above the hum of conversation around them.Ibrahim’s hand lingered near her cheek, his thumb brushing lightly against her skin. “You don’t have to thank me,” he replied softly. “I’m just happy to be here with you.”From across the room,

 Raichand watched the exchange with keen interest, his mind already spinning with possibilities.

 He leaned slightly toward one of his associates, a sly smile on his face.“So, she’s going to be the Khan family’s new queen,” he said in a low voice, his tone dripping with intrigue. “Interesting choice for a man with such… complex interests.”The associate gave a noncommittal grunt, his attention half-focused on Raichand and half on the food in front of him.Raichand chuckled, his eyes never leaving Ibrahim and Mehak. “A beautiful woman, for sure,” he continued, his voice almost purring with amusement. “But I wonder… does she know what she’s getting into?”Meanwhile, Ibrahim and Mehak continued to talk quietly, their conversation interrupted only when Adeel approached them, his expression serious.“Ibrahim,” Adeel said, his voice steady but firm. “some guest is asking for you again. He has some business he wants to discuss.”Ibrahim sighed, the warmth in his eyes dimming slightly. He turned back to Mehak, giving her an apologetic look.

 “I’m sorry, Mehak,” he said softly. “I have to go.”Mehak nodded, her heart sinking slightly as he turned to leave. But before he walked away, Ibrahim reached out and took her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.“I’ll be back soon,” he promised, his voice filled with sincerity. “And we’ll have more time to talk.”As he walked away with Adeel, Mehak watched him go, her mind a swirl of emotions. She could still feel the warmth of his hand in hers, the weight of his gaze lingering long after he had disappeared into the crowd.