Bonus Chapter

So, I've mentioned that this story was originally an assignment for my English class. We had to write a collection of poems or a short story, and I chose to write a short story. Here's the original version of Her Life of Maybes if you're interested!

______________________

"Trinity!" Skyler called out, "Go and spot Kayla please?"

Trinity pulled out of her confused state that she had been in momentarily. She jogged over to where the rest of the girls wear practicing flips for the next competition.

The routine they were doing was complicated and extremely dangerous, so Trinity tried to focus on keeping her eyes on Kayla. She found it hard, as lately she had been receiving chronic, head splitting headaches. Today, however, wasn't as bad as it usually was, and she was determined to be on her game.

The routine started and the whole squad went through the steps fairly well. Everything was going smoothly up until the flips. Kayla was thrown into the air. On her way down, her angle was off and she was caught at an awkward angle. As she started to slip from her team mates grip, Trinity out her hands out ready to catch. And she would have managed to if her vision hadn't gone black.

One second she was watching Kayla intently, waiting to catch her and the next, she was blind. It was extremely disorienting and she took a couple steps back in surprise. When she shook her head, and still found no change she panicked and fell on her back. The back of her head caught the edge of the pavement, and she heard a crack before everything disappeared.

*

The sound of beeping was loud, and Trinity woke up with a start. Her head was pounding intensely, her eyes squinting from the pressure of it. She tried to sit up and winced when the pain increased. She leant back on her elbows so she could look at the room. She knew instantly she was in a hospital.

As a child, she was in a hospital room more than she was in school. She had been diagnosed with leukaemia and was almost always sick. The hospital didn't scare her, but it did cause an uncomfortable knot to form in her belly. She remembered cheering, watching Kayla fall, going blind and then nothing. She assumed she had fallen because of the bandages that were wound tightly around her head. Her hand touched the back of her head and she cringed. Yeah, definitely a head injury.

When Trinity's mother walked in the door, she was ecstatic for a millisecond before her heart dropped to her toes. Her mother's face was stained with tears. Tears that were still streaming. Nessa couldn't look her daughter in the eyes. She couldn't be the one to tell her the bad news.

Trinity choked on a sob that was trying to work its way out of her throat. "Mom, please. What's wrong? Is it... Is it the cancer? Is it back?" Trinity couldn't hold it back anymore. She let out body racking cries.

Nessa ran to her daughter immediately, and hugged her tight. "No Trin, the cancer is still gone. There's something else though. It's really serious. The doctor said the symptoms should be showing by now. Headaches, being moody, black outs? Have you experienced any of these?"

Trinity nodded, " Yeah, I've had bad headaches recently, but I thought they were from my new contact prescriptions. And yesterday, the reason I fell was because I couldn't see and I panicked."

Nessa's eyes teared up a bit, and she hugged her daughter closer. "Oh baby, you have something really serious. It's a brain tumour. When you fell, you should have had a mild concussion, but your brain started swelling and they did some scans. The doctor found a large mass in your sphenoid bone. He says it's called chondrosarcoma. It's been growing there for a while, but the symptoms have only just started to appear because it's becoming worse."