Chapter Twelve

"Trinity?"

"Hmph", Trinity groaned in response. She felt the chair next to her pull out and a hand went to the back of her neck.

"You alright, darling?"

No. No she wasn't, and not even the sweet term of endearment could make her smile right now.

"I've got a headache," she replied softly, downplaying the problem.

Truth be told, it was more of a head splitting migraine than a headache. Her eyes were throbbing at the pressure pushing against her skull.

It had been manageable all day. She woke up easily, got dressed and came to school and only experienced the slightest headache. In her last class, however, things took a nosedive and now she was in agony.

It was getting worse.

But she couldn't let Julian see all of that, so she pulled herself up from where she was resting her head on the cold pages of her science textbook and gave a slight smile to the boy on her right.

"Ready?"

Julian didn't respond. Instead, he just stared at his friend. She had seen better days. Her face was gaunt and the circles under her eyes threatened to swallow her face. The light that usually shone bright from her face was dulled almost to nonexistence.

He reached up to grab her face and stroke the cheekbones that had begun to stick out more and more. She was still beautiful, one of the most beautiful people he had ever seen, but she held an air of morbidity around her. He didn't like it.

"We aren't studying today," he finally replied.

"What do you mean? You're going to fall behind, we have to study."

"Actually," he said, cockily, "I'm at an A in all of my classes. I understand most of whats going on at this point, so you don't even need to tutor me anymore."

He saw the dejected look on her face and backtracked.

"I mean, at least for now. If I start falling behind again, you'll be the first to know."

She just nodded and put her head back down.

She felt his hand scratch up and down her back lightly and sighed.

"I do have some homework you could come and help me with, though," Julian lied.

Trinity perked up at that. "For what class?"

Julian thought on the spot, "Photography."

Her mouth widened in a big smile, "Okay, I'm down!"

Julian pulled Trinity out of the car and put an arm around her in an attempt to shield her from experiencing the bright rays that would worsen her headache.

Trinity noticed that they were walking down a familiar street in town.

"Where exactly are we going?" she questioned cautiously.

"We're going to my moms job, she ow-," Trinity cut him off.

"Your mom? I'm meeting your mom? I can't do that! I'm such a mess today!"

Julian laughed and kissed her head, bringing them to a stop. "Don't worry. She'll adore you, dancers are her favorite."

Julian turned and headed to the door behind him, holding it open for Trinity to step through.

Trinity was confused. "Why does she love dancers?"

The question was barely out of her mouth when she looked up and realized where they were.