Chapter One

There was a beeping noise that became increasingly louder as Trinity began to regain consciousness. When she realized that wasn't what she would normally hear in the comfort of her own room, she came to with a start.

Her head was pounding like it never had before. Her migraines had been intense for a few weeks, but this was a whole other pain that she had never experienced. Tears sprung to the corners of her eyes as she tried to hold them back.

Trinity tried to sit up, but found the that the pain worsened. She squinted at the pressure it was causing to her eyes. It felt like her eyeballs were being pushed out of her skull.

Instead of sitting up completely, Trinity opted for leaning back on her elbows instead. She let her eyes travel across the room that she was in. She instantly recognized the sterile room and knew that she was in the hospital.

As a child, Trinity constantly lived in and out of the hospital for her sickness. At five years old, she had been diagnosed with having leukemia. Three years later, at eight, she had gone into remission. She'd practically lived in hospitals for those three years and could never forget them.

Hospitals didn't scare her, not anymore at least. At one point in time, she had cried at the thought of going back to the hospital. She had been terrified of the long nights she would spend alone, with nothing but the comfort of her favorite teddy. During the nights she was at home, she would wake from nightmares of running down the lonely halls, never being able to escape.

Over time, Trinity realized something. Things happen. Life itself was a big maybe. Maybe the kids she became friends with in the cancer unit would be alive the next day, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe her heart would continue to pump, and maybe the leukemia would overtake her.

Maybe if she stopped being so scared of the hospital, she could maybe, just maybe focus on getting better and being happy. So that's what she did, and it seemed to work.

Ever since she had gotten better, her fear of the white room that surrounded her subsided. Even though it still caused an uncomfortable knot to form in her stomach.

Trinity's mind flashed back to her cheer practice. She remembered cheering, watching Kayla fall, her vision leaving her and then everything else was blank.

She didn't like that blank feeling. It was like an annoying itch that she couldn't scratch. It was just downright irritating.

She just assumed she had fallen because of the bandages she felt wrapped securely around her head. Her hand reached up to hesitantly touch the back of her head, and she cringed. This, of course, only brought her to feel more pain.

Yeah, definitely a head injury.

When Trinity's mom walked through her hospital room door, she was ecstatic for a brief millisecond before her heart clenched and dropped to her toes. Her mothers face was distraught, and stained with tears. Tears that were still streaming endlessly. Nessa couldn't bring herself to look her daughter in the eye. She refused to be the one to deliver the bad news.

Trinity choked on a sob that was trying its best to rip its way out of her throat. She knew that bad news was coming. "Mom... Mommy, please. Whats wrong? Is it.. Is it the cancer? Is it back?"

She couldn't hold it back anymore, and let out body racking cries. Nessa ran to her daughter immediately, and hugged her tight.

"No Trin, the cancer is still gone. There's something else though. It's really serious, and to be honest with you baby, it's worse than leukemia."

Trinity searched her mothers face and for a second only one thought flew across her mind.

'This can't be happening to me.'