Chapter Four

Trinity awoke to what felt like a hammer crashing into her skull. She let out an almost silent scream and buried her forehead into her pillow, praying for the pain to go away. She lay there for what seemed like hours as the sharp ache faded away. Once it was gone completely, Trinity sat up in bed shaking her hair out of her eyes. Her hand reached over to her bedside, where she grabbed her cell.

Blinking at the bright light that shone when it came on, Trin squinted at the time. 4:28. And on a Wednesday too. Trinity groaned, knowing that her day was going to be absolute crap. Nonetheless, she got up out of bed, knowing that she wasn't going to be able to fall back to sleep.

She went through her routine of getting ready, glad that she had her own en suite so she didn't wake her parents. By the time she was done, it was barely five. She had almost two hours to kill before school. Trinity blew a few tendrils of hair out of her face and she thought about what to do for a second.

The first thing that came to mind was to head down to the park down the street. It had a pretty dock and she could just relax for a while with her music. Tiptoeing downstairs, she stopped by her kitchen to write a note saying where she was for her parents. She set it in front of the coffee pot, knowing that's the first thing both her parents checked in the morning.

Making sure she had her school supplies along with her iPod, Trinity set off. It only took her fifteen minutes to get to the park. It took about five more to reach the dock she was looking for. Smiling at how pretty everything looked, Trinity sat down, taking off her vans and socks so she could dip her toes in the water. She grinned at the cold water and how it tickled the bottom of her feet.

Unraveling her earphones, she leant back on her elbows and closed her eyes. Music flooded her ears and she immediately recognized the song playing. Laughter Lines. The lyrics nagged her brain.

I'll see you in the future when we're older

And we are full of stories to be told

Cross my heart and hope to die

I'll see you with your laughter lines

The song reminded Trinity that there wouldn't be a future for her. Nobody would be waiting for her in fifty years to reminisce over their lives. Fifty years from now, her corpse would have rotted away in an old dusty coffin. The thought made her stomach heave a bit and made her eyes squeeze together even more. The song continued playing and towards the end, Trinity noticed the wetness on her cheeks. She was crying, not that it bothered her. There was nobody around to see her. The song ended, and the tears continued to fall as the next one came on. As soon as she heard the first verse, Trinity let out a loud laugh.

Gotta keep your head up, ooh oh

Trinity finally opened her eyes and looked straight up at the sky. "Is this your way of communicating, God?"

Suddenly, someone spoke up from behind her, "Are you talking to yourself?"

Trinity sat straight up, quickly wiping her face, and turned towards the voice. Julian was stood behind her with a very large camera around his neck.

"What are you doing here," she questioned him.

He shrugged, "Taking pictures for my photography class." He walked further up the dock, and ended up sitting next to Trinity, shoes off as well.

Julian glanced at Trinity from the corner of his eye. Her eyes were still wet from her tears. He was standing at the dock next to her, taking pictures for class, like he mentioned, when he saw her from his lens. She had been crying. Not being able to help himself, he snapped a picture. Not even a second later, she had begun laughing, and he caught a picture of that as well. Not that she would ever know.