Chapter Twenty Five

When Trinity woke up, she was in the hospital, the hospital she was now confined to by her doctors.

She was also alone.

She woke up in darkness, with blurry vision that had nothing to do with her condition. It was from the tears pooling in her eyes.

A nightmare had paralyzed her in her sleep and woken her abruptly.

She dreamt of nothing. Just herself standing, surrounding by nothing but darkness on every side of her. She ran and ran in all directions, but nothing changed. She was alone.

Coming out of her nightmare into an eerily similar reality had unhinged her. She stayed awake with tears running down her face, and that’s the way her parents, Sky, and Julian found her in the morning.

Nobody knew how to handle the situation. They all knew what was happening. The doctor had already confirmed their worst fears. This was it.

Her time had run out.

Instead of speaking, the four others sat quietly with Trinity, crying right along with her.

They each had some sort of physical connection with her as if they feared she would slip away if they weren’t holding her down.

Her parents each had a hand. Sky ran her fingertips soothingly across her friend’s knee. Julian sat with his head on Trinity’s stomach, crying harder and more quietly than all the others in the room.

Through her haze of tears, Trinity took the time to think about how Julian’s tears were the saddest.

They were ones of grief and sadness. They shook him down to the core, like an earthquake, his entire body trembling with spasms of emotional-turned-physical pain. The hurt was obvious, and even so, he never let out a sound.

Trinity knew that was for her own sake. Despite the fact he was obviously falling apart, he was still trying to keep some façade of composure in the hopes of appearing strong for her.

Trinity muttered the only words she would speak that day, caressing the head that lay on her belly.

“It’s okay to let it out. I’m here.”

Those words that had almost always come from his mouth tore through him and he let out a throat ripping sob in the blanket, clutching the sheet tightly.

That day wasn’t one for words. What could you say when no words could make things right?

Nothing.

When the tears stopped for the most part, the five of them sat there in silence, comforting each other through light touches and sad looks.

It was the saddest day of Trinity’s life and it only made her sadder to know that it wouldn’t be the saddest day of her loved one’s life.

No, that would be the day she was gone forever.

Nobody left her room, even when the nurses tried to boot them out. They slept on their chairs, clearly uncomfortable, but unwilling to chance leaving for too long. So much could happen overnight.

When Julian woke up the next morning, he was groggy and grumpy. Waking up in a hospital wasn’t a good feeling and he had no idea how Trinity dealt with doing it so often.

He looked around and saw that Sky was the only other person in the room, apart from his girlfriend, who was sleeping.

“Hey, where’s everyone else?”

Sky tore her eyes from the quiet television. “Getting breakfast.”

They carried on a light conversation, trying for jokes here and there in an attempt to bring a happier atmosphere to the room.

Trinity lay there quietly, listening to the two of them talk to each other. They were so comfortable with each other now, it was hard to believe they had hated one another a few months prior.

Sky finally noticed Trinity was awake and smiled, “Morning, girl.”

Trinity sniffed out a depressed, “Morning.”

Sky and Julian exchanged looks. “Trin?”

“Oh don’t mind me,” she said, trying to brush off her sadness. “I was just thinking, once I’m gone, I’m happy that you guys will have each other to lean on.”

The two in question shifted uncomfortably at her statement, not wanting to think about her not being around.

“And just so you know,” she continued on, her voice getting higher,” I’m so cool with you two dating after I’m gone. I mean I’ll be dead so it won’t hurt me and it’s obvious that’s what will probably happen anyways, so I don’t want either one of you feeling guilty.”

Trinity had been looking at her sheets, but glanced up when silence followed her rambling. The two of them were staring at her, their mouths set in hard lines.

“What?”

“Shut up,” they said in unison.

“What do you mean? You guys would make a cute couple, you know.” The words felt like acid on their way up and out of her mouth.

“Obviously we would make a cute couple, we’re both hot,” Sky scoffed, rolling her eyes.

“But that doesn’t mean we want to be together. Sky and I are great friends now, but we would never do that to you. Gone or not, we would never betray you that way.”

“And anyways,” Sky said snootily,” he ditched the cool hair and piercings. The whole hot bad boy sex appeal thing is gone now. Totally not for me.”

“Yeah, her type is more ginger than me,” Julian said laughing into his hand and hiding a mischievous grin.

Trinity saw the blush on Skylar’s cheeks and her eyes got wide. “No way. Ed?”

Sky blushed harder, something very rare for her. “Yeah,” she mumbled, paying some unneeded attention to her nails.

“Oh my fuck,” Trinity squealed, forgetting for a second that she was dying in the hospital.

She grabbed Julian and Sky by their necks and pulled them down to the bed to hug them tightly.

She was laughing in relief knowing that they didn’t want each other and disbelief in knowing that her friend had a thing with a musician she absolutely worshipped.

“Did you know that I fucking love you guys so much,” she said, tears building up.

They hugged her back fiercely.

“We fucking love you too, Darling.”

Trinity’s parents stood in the doorway watching the three emotional teens sadly.

It just wasn’t fair.