Chapter Twenty One

Trinity sat on the crisp hospital bed with her mother to her left and Julian to her right. This was the first time Julian had accompanied her to a check up and for some reason she was nervous about it.

His hand gripped her own tightly as he smiled at her mother, the two of them having a conversation that Trinity was too spaced out to listen in on.

Doctor Tanner entered the room and Trinity's attention immediately snapped to him.

She felt a slight increase in pressure on her hand and gave Julian's a squeeze back. Looks like he was nervous too.

"Hey Doc," Trinity said politely. "Any updates?"

"Actually," Dr. Tanner said with a smile on his face, "we just received the results from the last tests you had. It looks like the tumor has slowed its growth for now."

Trinity blinked. "So what does that mean for me?"

"It means that the time we originally gave you could possibly be elongated by two, three, even four months."

The doctor caught the sad look on Trinity's face and sighed.

"Look, I know it isn't the miracle you want, but it is something. You get a little extra time with the people who love you."

He gestured to Nessa and Julian. "I'm sure they're ecstatic to know they've got a bit of a while longer with you."

After that news, the doctor went over Trinity's meds like he always did, making sure that they were still being as effective as possible. He scheduled another appointment a month down the road and said his goodbyes.

Julian was quiet on the car ride back to his girlfriends house. He sat in the backseat next to Trinity and kept an arm around her, pulling her close. He didn't seem fond on the idea of letting her go anytime soon.

When they arrived, Trinity expected Julian to follow her inside, but he stayed back. She turned to him with an eyebrow raised questioningly.

"I've got something to do right now. I'll come by later?"

Trinity pouted, but nodded nonetheless. She walked over to him and stood on her tippy toes. She looked at him with false innocent eyes and pointed to her lips.

Julian grinned mischievously and snatched her around the waist, pulling her into a deep kiss. It lasted a few minutes, but ended when he nipped her bottom lip lightly.

"Gotta go, darling. Sorry 'bout it."

He pressed one more firm kiss to her lips and let her down on her feet completely.

Trinity stared in awe at the creature that was her boyfriend. A musician, a genie and an amazing kisser. She couldn't have gotten anybody better.

Walking through her front door, Trinity's eyes immediately focused in on her mother. Nessa was standing in the kitchen with a dopey (and sort of creepy) smile on her lips.

"You two are so adorable," she sighed.

"Did you just watch us make out? Because that's definitely weird mom. Like, seriously weird."

"And where did you think you got it from?" she threw back, sassily.

Trinity giggled. "True. God knows it wasn't from dad."

"What wasn't from me," the aforementioned man said peeking into the kitchen.

"My good looks," Trinity deadpanned.

He gave his daughter a dry look. "You can be an asshole sometimes."

"Ah," Trinity said loudly as he walked away. "That I did get from you though."