I Am Not 54

I had been on that table for an hour, talking to Clarke. She explained to me about how she was locked up in Mount. Weather, and how she escaped. When she was in the middle of telling me about the mountain men's leader, Raven walked in.

"Hey Clarke." She looked at me. "I'm Raven." I nodded.

"I know." She nodded.

"Well, they told me what happened to you. I kind of know how you feel." She showed me her leg, it in a metal brace. "I brought you two just like mine." She showed them to me.

"How'd it happen to you?" I asked her.

"Crazy bastard Murphy shot me." I smiled. "Here, let's try them on." She placed one of the braces under my right leg, strapping it down. She then strapped up my left leg, this one going up to my mid thigh. Sitting up, Clarke held me up straight. Raven grabbed my right leg, bending it.

"Can you straighten it?" Clarke asked me, and I straightened my leg out. I next did it with my left leg, it being a little more difficult. "Okay, let's keep doing this. Until it doesn't hurt anymore." I nodded.

We bent and straightened my legs for the next hour. Lifting my legs up in the air, and bending them. It hurt somewhat, but I got use to the pain. Clarke looked at me, taking my hands.

"You want to try walking?" She asked me, and I nodded. Helping me off the table, the braces helped me stand. Clarke grabbed my arm, and we started walking. My right leg moved pretty well, but my left leg limped. I sighed in frustration. "Come on let's go outside." She kept a grip on my arm, as we walked outside. People looked at me. They knew I was one of the 100, and then they knew what happened to me on the ground. Now they knew I couldn't walk on my own.

"I hate how these people are looking at me." I whispered to Clarke.

"As soon as you can walk and run by yourself, you can leave. Whatever you want." I pulled from her grasp.

"Then let me try walking by myself." I looked around the camp, spotting the major. Biting my lip, I made my way towards her. My legs moving faster, I smiled as my right leg bent as normal. Coming up to the major, she looked at me as though she's never seen me before.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"Really?" I said to her. She stared at me confused. I lifted the hem of my shirt, showing her my scars. "Remember me now?" I asked her. She took a step back. "You tortured me!" I yelled, getting the attention of almost everyone in the camp. "You made me into a monster!" I pointed to my legs. "And now you shot me! I can't feel my legs because of you!" She backed up.

"Calm down." She said.

"No! Do you even know my real name? Those two years torturing me, and you can't even remember my real name!"

"Calm down 54." She told me.

"I am not 54!" I screamed at her. "I'll never be 54 again you bitch!" She pulled out her gun, and I smiled. "You going to shoot me again major, maybe kill me this time? Was taking away my legs not enough for you?" Clarke was now at my side, her hand on my back. I could barley feel the touch of her fingers.

"Kacie, let's not do this now." She whispered to me.

"Fine." I mumbled. We walked back towards the station, my legs moving better now.

"Your walking looks good." She told me.

"I want to run and jump." I stopped, looking at her. "I want to feel the ground with my feet, and I want to run in the grass. I want to feel my legs." I sighed. "But I guess all wishes can't be granted." I pulled away from her, trying to walk away from her, but my knee buckled. Falling to my knees, I grunted in the back of my throat.

"Agh!" I screamed. "Dammit!" Clarke knelt down beside me, her hands around my waist.

"Come on Kacie, let's take a break." I shook my head.

"I don't want to take a break! I want to walk!" The look on her face almost broke me into pieces, she was scared and sad. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you." I told her, running my fingers over hers.

"It's okay. Let's just get up." She helped pull me to my feet, and keep my balance. "Maybe I'm not the one who should be helping you." She told me.

"What?" I asked her.

"Maybe you need to learn to walk from someone who went through the same pain. The same struggle, the same grief." I sighed.

"Fine."

*******************************

Raven stood in front of me, looking down at my legs. She bent her own leg, and nodded. Her hands came to her head in thought, then she smiled.

"Okay, what's the hardest part of you? Bending, standing, stretching?" She asked me.

"Walking." I said blandly at her.

"Yah, we'll be more specific. If you won't help me I can't help you." I rolled my neck to the sky, sighing.

"Pressure. Pressure on my legs. When I put to much weight on them I fall." She nodded.

"Then we don't need to start with walking, we need to start with lifting. Strengthen your legs." I nodded.

"How do we do that?" I asked her. She smiled at me. Walking over to the remains of the ark, she grabbed a tarp and rope.

"Hope you're as strong as you look." She tied the rope around my left leg, and then tied it to the tarp. She sat down on the tarp, and held on. "Come on, pull." I looked down at her, and sighed. Turing around to face the fence, I started to walk. Trying to pull Raven, I failed and fell to the ground. Looking back at her, she laughed at the sight of mud on my face.

"I hate you." She smiled.

"Come on, again." I stood back up, pulling again. The tarp moved a few feet, until I fell again.

"Argh!" I yelled. Raven climbed off the tarp, walking to my side.

"Hey, we can stop if you want." I shook my head.

"Get back on the tarp." I grunted, getting to my feet. Looking back at her, she smiled.

"Yes ma'am." Crawling back on the tarp, I pulled again. Feeling her move behind me, I smirked. Bending over, I placed my hands on the ground. Pushing with my legs, she moved behind me. As I kept pushing with my legs, she moved farther and faster. Fighting the pain that moved through my body, I pulled her farther. Hearing Raven cheer behind me, I pulled her farther. I saw Clarke ahead of me, smiling. She waved at me, and I pushed myself harder. Reaching Clarke's feet, I fell onto my stomach. Breathing heavy, I raised my eyes to look at Clarke.

"You look like your having fun." She said to me, and I hit her foot.

"Wanna ride?" I asked her, and she nodded.

"Yah." Raven climbed off the tarp, and Clarke jumped on. Turning us around, I started to push. Feeling Clarke move behind me, I smiled. Pulling her faster, I was moving my feet fast and far. I heard Raven cheer, and Clarke laughed. Pushing us farther, I smiled.

I felt my body shaking, but I didn't stop. I heard a voice tell myself I couldn't go any farther, but I told it to screw itself. I felt my legs buckle, but I pushed farther. I knew I could do it, and I wanted to do it forever. I felt myself smile.

The major took something from me. She took my life, she took my mind. She took my damn legs, and I was able to take something back. She could still put fear into my mind with my memories, she could still remind me of my pain with my scars. But she couldn't take my ability to fight. I was going to walk, and then I was going to run, and then I was going to be jumping out of trees. I was going to prove to the major, that I wasn't up for the taking.

I was going to prove to the major that I was in control.