Why

Miles

I watched my mate sleep for the first thirty minutes before deeming it safe enough to leave her behind. My wolf was fighting me to stay and I almost gave in. But her innocent face and beautiful wolf made my mind up. I knew without a doubt that she was too good for me.

I walked the long way home and sat in the back yard for a while.  So lost in thoughts I didn't hear my mother walk out. She stared me down for a while, the same look of disgust as always. I never backed down but today I wasn't in the mood. Knowing that the only thing that could make my life better, wouldn't want me.

"What's up your ass today?" mom asked.

I just stared at her not knowing where she was going with this.

"Well, excuse me. Now you're too good to speak to me? Or are you just too stupid? Yeah that's it. You know Brad was right. You ain't shit and you never will be. I hate you for taking him away from me! He should've killed you!" with that she stormed off and back into the house.

As soon as I heard her slam the door I let my tears fall. Once again releasing a howl of anguish at the loss of my family. One that I know I'd never get back, not that I wanted to.  I didn't dare to go back inside there and I didn't have anything to do, so I just sat there.

My mind constantly drifted to my mate and I wondered how she felt after waking up. She probably hates me even more. I kicked myself for being so stupid and not at least getting to hear her voice just once.

I shifted back and put on the clothes I discarded earlier. I reached for my phone and just held it out. At times like this I'd usually call Jon but tonight I didn't want jokes or sympathy. I wanted a friend who would listen and give me honest feed back. So I dialed Carmen.

"Where are you?" she asked in a panicked voice.

"Outside my house. Do you mind if I come over?" I asked.

"Um.. not right now. Can I call you later?" she asked.

"Whatever."

I just hung up. I know it wasn't her fault, she probably had no idea what I was going through. Feeling bad I started to call her back but noticed I had a text from her.

'Sorry Miles. Just kinda busy right now. But I promise to call you later. K?' she wrote.

'No I'm sorry for the attitude. Do what you gotta do and just call me when you can. :) '

I closed my phone, thankful that she wasn't pissed at me. Two angry women in my life was enough right now. With nothing to do I headed off into the forest to do some more thinking. Hoping that I'd come up with a solution to all my problems. Mainly my mother and my mate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monique's P.O.V

I don't know how long I cried into Carmen's shoulder but she never once protested. She held me tight as if we'd been friends for life. Usually it'd be Ant's job to comfort me through my tears but I relaxed knowing this was his mate and somehow still connected to him. Also her being a female helped a lot!

I sniffed up the last of my tears and we continued to sit in silence. How could he keep doing this to me? First he shows not interest but then on a day like today we seemed so in sync. Then I wake to find him gone, what the hell? I'm even more confused and I don't know exactly why I'm crying. Just that my mate is at the center of it.

"You okay?" Carmen's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

"Better. Thanks." I reply.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asks but before I can respond her phone goes off. She looks at the caller ID before looking at me shocked. I don't pay her any attention just stand to walk away, to give her some privacy.