To Die Of A Broken Heart

Chapter 6

Twelve days.

Not that I was sitting alone on my bed counting the days since the last time I had seen or heard from Darcy.

I didn't care.

Though the last time I saw him was the night, he dropped me off after the event. He had opened the door for me, kissed me on the cheek, and told me he would call me.

Twelve days ago.

Again. I didn't care.

"Has he called yet?" Rose asked while walking out of her bedroom. I shook my head. I was lying on the couch with my feet dangling over the armrest. So, to see her, I had to reposition myself.

"Should I call him? Just to say hi, and what's up?" I asked her, squirming internally at the thought, and dropped my phone next to me. I lifted my head up to find her standing with a bottle of tea in hand. She shook her head.

"No, you don't want to come off looking desperate or too attached. And don't make that face, you'll get wrinkles." She laughed, coming to sit with me so naturally, I moved to give her some space.

"What do I do? I let it play out?" I asked her. Although, in my opinion, we were passed that point. Rose, yet again, nodded.

"Yes, exactly. Show him it doesn't affect you and you couldn't care less."

"I don't really care much; I just wanted to see what was up." If I were lying, at least no one would know. I grabbed an apple from the fruit basket and quickly washed it before sinking my teeth in. The taste of the sweet juice was heavenly.

"Then it shouldn't be a problem to wait it out." She said, turning on the television.

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem. I wondered why Darcy wasn't calling me or why I hadn't seen him because I didn't know if I was supposed to keep the card he sent me or if I was supposed to give it back. And that was basically it...nothing else... at least that's what I told myself.

In no way was I going to admit that, in reality, I actually wanted to see his handsome face and just talk to him. We haven't done a lot of talking, he and I.

We haven't done many things, and I was already questioning what he meant by the "I want you to be mine" thing.

"You know what, maybe you should call that Royce Welch guy," Rose spoke, still going through the television channels. "Maybe that'll change your mind a bit?" She added when she finally found what she was looking for.

I thought about it for a second. That actually wasn't a bad idea. I had meant to call him on numerous occasions, but something always seemed to occupy my thoughts enough for me to forget.

Reaching out for my phone, I said with a resolution, "You know what, I might just do that." And before I could change my mind, I dialed the number I had saved on my phone, so I wouldn't lose it. Fortunately for me, he picked up after the third ring.

"Royce Welch speaking."

"Hi, Royce, it's Charlotte Kineton, we met about a week ago at a gala, and you gave me your number." To help him remember who I was, I started rambling.

"Oh, yes, of course, I remember you. Charlotte," He started. "How are you? I was starting to lose hope in you calling me." He said, which made me blush with embarrassment. I guess I should have called him a little earlier.