A Child's Father

Chapter 44

( Charlotte's POV )

           I stopped in front of the stairs and stared intensely at the door only a few steps away from me. This was it, exactly what I had come all the way to Alabama for. In front of me was Jemma's house and I felt like the second I entered this place, all the answers I had been searching for would somehow be there. I looked to my side to find Rose standing close by. I smiled as she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"So, should we go in?" She asked. I turned my head again and looked back at the house that was suspiciously calling out to me. How? Well I didn't know but if I had come all this way, I was definitely going to walk up those stairs and get into that house. I nodded before taking a first step, Rose right there next to me.

I had to admit that I had no idea what I was coming to Alabama for, I only knew that I wanted answers and the only way I was going to get them was where it all started.

It wasn't until we landed in Alabama that we decided, since we didn't know where to start or didn't even know anybody there, that perhaps it would probably be best if we went to Darcy's mother to ask her a few questions.

I wasn't even sure that the older woman was going to be able to recognize me until I knocked on her door and saw a huge smile on her face the second she registered who was in front of her door.

It took a lot of convincing from my part but I was able to get the information I needed from her. She was the only one who could tell me where Jemma lived and I wasn't leaving until I got that address.

So fast forward to the present and we were now finally here in front of a house that was supposed to be empty because Jemma wasn't there. I twisted the knob and realized that the door wasn't locked.

I shook my head. Who was dumb enough to leave their door unlocked? Rose and I stepped in anyway. What was the harm in only just looking? It wasn't like we were trying to steal anything. It was all research.

I stepped further into the dark house and looked around. "We should probably turn on the light." I said to Rose who already had her hand on the light switch before I was done with my sentence. I laughed.

"What? You know I hate dark places,  it gives me the creeps." She answered before I heard noises coming from one of the rooms. I frowned as Rose and I looked at each other.

"There is someone in here." Rose mouthed and pointed at the hallway in front of us. I shrugged.

"Is there someone in here?" I called out and waited for a silhouette to appear in front of us, the darkness covering the face of the person. It was definitely a man, but who? that I had no idea.

I squinted my eyes trying to see who was walking towards me until I heard my name being called from the man's mouth. "Charlotte?" He appeared into the light. An overwhelming surprised took over as I finally saw the face of the person.

"Well, fuck me." Rose cussed, standing a couple of steps away from me.
_________________

             "Royce? What the hell are you doing here?" I asked, blinking a few more times to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me.

"I could ask you the same thing." He replied as he came closer for a quick hug. I hadn't seen him for a few months now so it really was a shocking surprise to find him standing in Jemma's house. What were the odds of that?

"Jemma is a friend of mine, we are just here to get some stuff for her." I lied.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.