Chapter 5

I felt my eyes sting as another tear fell to it's release. I wrapped my cardigan tighter around my body, my legs struggling to walk as my whole body trembled with fear. As I neared my street I could hear cheering and laughter. Turning the last corner I could see faint figures standing in Jack's garden, and my stomach once again turned. I hurried my walk, hoping to sneak by unnoticed. How could i possibly bring myself to look them in the eye?

"OI, Kiddo." I heard Tommy's cheery voice screech and I instantly turned to face him.

His smile instantly dropped when he noticed the look of despair in my tired eyes. He walked towards me, his walk full of energy and the 'care free' attitude I loved so much. He stood in front of me, his head tilting to the side as his fingers reached up to brush away my tears.

"You all-right?" He asks, his voice filled with concern.

I shake my head and feel more tears bubble to the surface. "No." I cry.

His arms instantly wrap around me, pulling me deep into his warm chest. He soothes me, his fingers gently stroking my hair.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" He whispers, pulling me back to face him, holding me at arms length.

"I - I'm scared, Tommy. I'm so scared." I gasp for air, unable to shake the horrible visions from my mind.

"Ah, come on, Scarlet. Do you honestly think I would let anything happen to you? I'm Tommy fucking Smith." I smile at his words, his boyish charm making me chuckle.

"You the man." I mock, poking his chest with my finger.

"Don't you forget it," His finger brushes under my chin as his grin grows wider.

His arm slings over my shoulder, pulling me close as he drags me towards Jack's house. I hesitiate, but soon let him lead the way.

"I hate to break it to you sugar, living around here, you're gunna to have to get used to it."

"I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that." I whisper, pulling back slightly as we neared the house, suddenly feeling like I was about to intrude.

"I should ge-

"Scarlet. He wants to see you, he's not in a good way." He sighs, running his fingers through his thick, dirty brown hair.

I gulp loudly, nodding my head as I allow him to lead me up the driveway. I feel safe with Tommy, I've known him my whole life - he's always been someone I cared for, but when I knew him then, he wasn't this. He was a sweet fifteen year old boy how spoke politely and had manners. But now he was part of a gang and swore and fought ruthlessly.

The door creaked open, the sound of loud music and boyish laughs echoing in my ears. I froze, looking around in a daze as Tommy slammed the door shut. The noise suddenly stopped as his presence took over.

"He's upstairs babe, first room on the right." He nudges me towards the stairs.

"And kid, don't worry. I have you're back." He places a kiss atop my head before heading into the living area with the rest of them.

My hand gripped to the banister, my breathing increasing as the sound of muffled voices sounded from upstairs. I climbed up them slowly, calming myself down, preparing me for the unknown. Just how bad were his injuries?

"Jack! Stay still." I heard a mature voice scream.

I took in a deep breath and ran my fingers through my hair, tugging on the ends in attempt to wake myself up. I mentally kicked myself for being such a woos and placed my hand on the doorknob. The room fell silent as I slowly pushed the door open. I gasped, Jack's face was covered in dry blood and multiple bruises, swollen. And a long slit traveled up the outside of his arm. I was frozen - speechless - numb.