Chapter 18

Scarlet's Pov

I sat at the kitchen table. The space across from me empty, the space my mum cleared for Harry. My foot tapped against the floor as I anxiously bit down on my fingernails. It was two minutes to seven, and my nerves were through the roof. This had to go well. They had to like him. The fact that my mum had insisted Belle and Liam also stay for dinner only made matters worse. Sure, I loved them. Sure, they were my best friends. But everyone knew Belle thought Harry was no good, and judging by the telling off she gave me earlier - nothing had changed. My eyes were locked on the back window. I knew he would come in the back way, being seen on my street would only put him in danger - especially with Jack only across the road. I heard aunt Kathy laughed before she heavily nudged into my side. I screeched, turning my head in her direction. She had a bright, warm, smile on her face and for the first time in years she had the twinkle back in her eyes.

"Calm down. He'll be here." She sounded so sure, so why wasn't I?

I don't know why I had a bad feeling. I knew Harry would do just about anything for me. But deep down, way deep inside, I was terrified he would find something better. What if im not enough? What if I can't give him what he needs? What If im to inexperienced? I have never been in a situation like this before. It's all so deep, so fast, but I don't want it to stop. Not now. Not ever.

I was happy that Becky decided to join us. I knew this was hard for her. I knew he loyalties stood with Jack. They had been friends for years, I couldn't expect he to warm to Harry. Not after all the lies she had been fed. Well, I'm hoping they are lies.

"He's here." Liam beamed, it seemed like he was the only one who was happy for me.

Jumping to my feet I hurried to the back door. My smiled grew wider when I caught sight of his floppy curls and his burning green eyes. As I pulled the door open he greeted me with a smile and a soppy kiss to the side of my lips. He seemed nervous. I had never seen him nervous before. This was obviously just as important to him as it was to me.

I leaned up, pretending to kiss his cheek as I whispered lowly into his ear, "You'll be fine."

He slipped his hand into mine and stepped inside, smiling widely as he did. I closed the door behind us and froze when all eyes fell upon our intertwined fingers and us. I could see my mum examine Harry's bruised face, and I knew she would have questions later. But for now, she plastered on a smile and introduced herself - as did Kathy. Liam, well Liam sat there with a huge grin on his face. He was probably overly excited about telling people he had dinner with Harry Styles. Belle and Becky on the other hand - they looked at him with cold, hard stares, but he didn't seem to notice. He was too busy sweet-talking my mum. He slipped into his chair. Taking a seat between my mum and Liam. I took my seat across from him, and for a moment there was no one else in the room. When our eyes met, it was only us and no one else seemed to matter. Nothing seemed to matter.

I rolled my eyes, giggling when he started talking to Liam about football. I have to admit. It was nice seeing him so...so normal. He looked up, smiling contently at me as I continued to laugh. It seemed too good to be true - for this to be going so well. And I was right to assume so.

"Have you thought about coming back to school, Scarlet?" Liam asked, a flicker of hope in his eyes.

I nodded, watching intently as my mum got up and made her way over to the oven. As she set about serving dinner, I kept the conversation flowing.

"Yeah. I'm coming back on Monday." I smiled, taking a sip of water as Harry looked at me anxiously.

"Really, so soon? Don't you think you need a little more time? You've been through a lot." He whispered, his voice breaking while his eyes saddened.