Fun family dinner

Dedicated to emilie-xx

Disclaimer: all characters and places belong to J.K. Rowling except for Jane Black.

The Christmass holidays went by to quickly. After the yule ball, I had gone to Romania along with Charlie. We had told his friends in Romania about our engagement and they had all congratulated us. They asked us when the wedding would be but we haven't set a date yet. We want to get married once I've turned eighteen, since my seventeenth birthday was only a few days ago, we still had almost a year.

Charlie had already written to his parents the day after the yule ball to tell them I had said yes. We got an excited letter back which made me feel really good, as if I was already part of their family. Now we still had to formally tell my father and Remus but I'm quite sure they'll already know. However Charlie really wanted to tell my father and ask for his blessing. Why? I don't know. It's just a Charlie thing.

So now we're repacking my trunk. We are going to stop at my place, inform my father and Remus and then Charlie returns to Romania while I go back to Hogwarts. If everything goes to plan, we should be in and out in no time.

Nothing ever goes to plan.

When we walked in we were immediatly greeted by Harry's grinning face.
"Jane! Charlie! I didn't know you were coming."
I chuckled a bit at his enthusiasm.
"Well Prongslet, we're here to see Sirius. Is he in?"
He looked at me curiously as if deciding if it was safe to reveal his godfathers location. Perhaps I should get a hold of my temper if people fear I'm going to kill my own father.
It seems like he decided that I was to be trusted as he went to get my father.

I heard noises upstears and soon enough, my father was descending the stairs. Charlie gave my hand a reassuring squeeze before he stept forward to greet my father.
My father was positively beaming as he saw us. He shook hands with Charlie before turning to me.

"Good afternoon Jane, Charlie. Nice of you to come by. You want something to drink?"
I was about to decline when Charlie decided differently.
"Sure, that sounds great. Thank you."
My father smiled at Charlie before leading us to the kitchen.

"What would you like? Coffée, tea, pumpkin juice, butterbeer?"

After we all got a drink, butterbeer for me, Sirius spoke up.
"So anything specific you wanted to tell me? Any new plans?" He knew why we came, he just wants us to tell him.
"Well... Charlie actually thought it to be a good idea to come here. He wanted to tell you." I said while gesturing for Charlie to go on.
My father turned to Charlie expectantly. As a response he cleared his throat and finally told him what we came here for to tell.
"Jane and I are getting married and I, I wanted to ask for your uhm your blessing. So do we have it? Your blessing?"
"You want my blessing? Well of course! Congratulations by the way! Only one thing..."
With one eyebrow raised I gestured for him to go on.
"You're not getting married right away, right? It's just that your so young, Jane. You're not even eighteen yet."
"Usually I disagree with what you say but I've had the same thought so we are waiting until I've turned eighteen. Perhaps next summer or something like that." I turned to Charlie during the last sentence to see what he thought about next summer he smiled at me so that was settled.

After a moment of silence I stood up again.
"It's getting quite late. We should go." I said while taking my coat.
My father looked baffled at the thought of Charlie's and mine departure and tried to convince us to stay.
"But why? You could just stay here right? You can eat along with me and Harry and perhaps Remus joins us and if you want I can owl Tonks."
I stopped putting on my coat as he said Tonks. Charlie noticed and asked.
"The metamorphmagus from hufflepuff?"
I nodded and he frowned a bit.
"How do you know her? I mean you talked sometimes when she was still at school with us but I didn't know you two were close."
"She is the daughter of my fathers cousin, Andromeda." I explained. " I haven't seen her in a while..."
"I quess we can stay for dinner then Jane? I'm sure you can talk to Dumbledore tomorrow and I'm still on holiday today anyway."
"I quess..." I answered while wondering how Dora was. Last time we spoke she said she was going to learn to be an auror. We haven't really been in contact since.

The evening was better than I had thought it would be. Remus and Dora both came and I realised how much I missed her in these last three years. We talked about how her auror training was going and how much she missed Hogwarts. Then we talked about my upcoming wedding. Afterwards I asked her whether she had a boyfriend or not. She said she didn't have one right now, then glanced at Remus and then blushed a little. I chuckled. She has a crush on Remus. I teased her a bit about but then later on noticed Remus glancing at her every now and then as well and when he saw I had caught him I just smirked at him. It was as if we were just one big happy family. It was one of the best nights ever. When it became really late Dora stood up.
"I really have to go now. I got to get up early tomorrow so yeah. See you guys later!" She smiled and glanced at Remus again before giving me a hug and apparating.
"I should probably go now too. They are bringing in a new dragon from Spain tomorrow morning and I have to be focused then."
He gave me a hug and a sweet kiss before shaking my father and Remus' hands and apparating back to Romania.
"I'm going to crash here tonight and leave tomorrow, kay? Goodnight." I yawned and was too tired to really know what I was doing 'cause next thing I know I am hugging my father, then Remus and then Harry. Once I realised what I had done I said goodnight again and practically ran to my room feeling the gaze of the three beaming males on the back of my head.

No matter how hard I hate to admit it, it felt good to hug my family again as if nothing had ever happened and everything was fine.