Chapter 2

*Jack's POV*

I hear the door to the work shop open and footsteps crunching in the snow. "Jack, what's wrong?" Tooth asks. "Where's Jess?" I get up off the ground, still staring into the abyss. I look over at them, a sad expression on my face.

"She's..." I hesitate. "She's dead." Tooth gasps as she covers her mouth with her hands. There's a sad look on Sandy's face. North and Bunny look horrified. I fly past them and into the work shop. They follow. Why did she have to do that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Jess' POV*

A searing headache keeps me from moving. I lay on the cold ground for a few minutes waiting for it to go away. My hair is in my face. I reach up to move my hair out of my face, but the immense pain stops me. Then I notice something different about my hair. It's weird, but I do. My light brown hair has a few streaks of dark green in it. I swear that I didn't do that. I would never dye my hair, ever. I lay on the ground for a few more seconds before I hear a voice in my head.

Jess, you're special, like them. Once you get back, they'll tell you. Everything.

I'm special? In what way, and like who? I mean, I do feel a bit different, kind of stronger, I guess. I feel my headache slowly dying down. Once it's gone, I wait a few extra seconds before I get up. My hair falls back into place and I look up. There's a dim light far above me, and then everything rushes back to me at once. That girl. Jack screaming my name. I have to get out of here. But how?

You can figure it out, Jess. That voice says again.

What am I supposed to figure out? That I can fly? Like that'll happen. As if on cue, I start to float. This isn't happening, but then again, it is. I mean, I've meet a 6 foot tall bunny and a glowing man. I think that this is quite possible. Within a matter of minutes, I get the hang of this whole flying thing. I fly up towards the light. I land on the soft snow on the bridge. I see the work shop and relief courses through me. I run towards the large doors. I take a glance through the large window on the left side of the doors. Tooth sits on the banister and Bunny leans against it next to her. North slowly paces back and forth, Sandy sits slumped on the couch and Jack sits next to him. They all look sad. I eagerly grab the doorknob and pull open the door. I walk inside and close the door behind me.

Tooth looks up, North stops pacing, Bunny, Jack, and Sandy look towards me. A shocked expression appears on all of their faces. Tooth is the first to react. She zooms over to me and gives me a hug. I hug her back. She lets go of me and the others rush over.

"You are alive!" North exclaims.

"I know." I say.

Bunny pats me on the back. "It's great to see you, Mate." he says. North gives me a suffocating hug, Sandy gives me a hug as well. Jack stares in awe.

"You seem different some how." Bunny says. A look of realization crosses over North's face a few seconds later.

"Can I talk to you guys...in private?" he says. He walks a few yards away, enough so that he's out of ear shot. The others join him and I wait. Then I notice something. A moonbeam streams through a large window near the ceiling and hits a certain spot near the globe.

"Hey, guys, what's that?" I say.

They turn around and look to where I'm pointing. A few seconds later, this pedistal thing rises out of the floor. The moonbeam hits the top of it. In the beam forms a shape, the shape of a person. I'm too far away to see who. And then the moonbeam fades away and the pedistal sinks back into the floor.

"This is way too much to process, Manny." North says. Then he looks at me. "Did Man in Moon tell you anything?"

"Um, I'm confused." I say.

"The Man in Moon. We call him Manny. Did he tell you anything?"

"I don't know if he told me anything, but there was this voice in my head that said I'm special, like them, whoever them is. And it said that once I got back they'd tell me everything." I say

They glance at each other. "Jess," Bunny says. "You're going to have to listen to what we say carefully. Got that?" I nod. Everyone's quiet for a minute or two.

"You died, and you must've done something extremely special before then for Manny to bring you back. So special, that he chose you to become a Guardian." North says. I am completely lost. How on Earth could I have died if I'm right here?

"Could someone please clarify that?" I ask.

Jack stands up and looks at me. "It means you're immortal, just like us." He says.

"Do you know what we do?" Bunny asks.

"Um, I don't know, kind of." I say.

"We protect the children of the world. Without them, we would be nothing. Manny chose you because of what you did. Normally, one does not die and become a Guardian a few minutes after they have been brought back. It took Jack 300 years. It took the rest of us even longer. What did you do, Jess?" North says.

I think about this for a moment. Then it comes to me at the same time that Jack speaks up. "She saved me. If it wasn't for her, I'd be dead, and I probably wouldn't come back." He slightly motions to me with his staff.

"Okay, Jess, we need to figure out what your power is." North says. I can tell by the look on his face, he's thinking. Everyone's silent. During this silence, a small little flying thing flies past me and over to Tooth.

"What is it, Baby Tooth?" Tooth asks. Baby Tooth whispers into her ear. A horrified expression appears on her face.

"Tooth, what's wrong?" Bunny asks.

She looks up. "There's a problem...at the Tooth Palace."