Chapter 26

He...he sees me? He believes in me? I just stand there, looking at him for a second. Then he runs towards me and into my arms. I wrap my arms around him. "Jess, you're...alive." He says. "I'd never break my promise to you, Nick. You know that." I say. He nods. We just stand there, holding each other. I glance up at North, who gives me a look telling me that we have to go. My brother let's go of me and I kneel down in front of him. :"I have to go, Nick, okay? But I'll be back, don't worry." I say. "What do you mean you have to go? Aren't you coming back with me?" He asks. "I...I can't." I say. "Why not?" He asks.

I sigh and look down for a second. Then I look back up at the others. North walks up to us and kneels next to my brother. My brother turns to him and I stand up. "You see, Nick," North says. "Jess is..." He pauses. "Immortal. Do you know what that means?" Nick nods and North continues. "Something happened and she ended up becoming immortal because of it. She was chosen to be a Guradian, like all of us and now, because she is one, she will have to stay with us." Nick looks at me with a sad face. It brings me pain. "You'll visit me, right?" I nod. "When I can." I say. Nick gives a slight nod and looks down.

I place my hand on his shoulder and he looks back at me, smiling. "You better get home." I say. "I'll take him." Bunny says. Nick gets excited at this. "You will?!" He asks. Bunny looks at me. I nod. "Of course I will. Come on." He says. Nick runs over to him and they both walk into the forest. I look over at North. "Thank you." I say. He nods and we follow after Bunny. In a few minutes, we've reached the town. We head for the sleigh. We sit in the sleigh, waiting for Bunny. I watch the street, searching for him. Then he appears a block or so away.

He runs up to the building and climbs it. He comes over to the sleigh and sits next to me and Sandy. Jack sits up front near North and Tooth sits behind us. "Are we ready?" North asks. "Of course we are, Mate," Bunny says. "Let's get back to the pole." North nods and we take off into the sky. Sandy looks over at me and gets a confused look on his face. Where'd you get that cut? He signs. Wow. I totally forgot that I had that. "Well, actually," I begin. I quickly glance around and see the work shop coming into view. We land in front of it. We all climb out of the sleigh. Two yetis come outside to take care of it.

We all walk inside. I notice Tooth floating close to me, really close, closer than normal. I stop and look over at her. "Where did you get that cut?" She asks. This grabs everybody's attention for some reason. I mean, it's a stupid cut, come on. "Pitch..." I simply say. "Oh," Tooth says. She places a hand on my shoulder. "Come on. Let's go take care of that." We leave the others and walk towards the stairs. We walk downstairs and pass the practice room and stop at the door next to it. We walk inside and I look around. This is some type of infirmary thing.

Tooth makes me sit in a chair while she heads off to the room where they keep all of the medicine stuff. She comes back with a small container. "This is a special medicine. If you put it on a cut or something, it will be healed the next day." She says. "Whoa..." I say. Tooth opens it and flies over to me. She rubs the medicine on my cut and then leaves to put it away. She comes back and we leave the infirmary. We head back upstairs. The others stand around, talking, except for North, who's sitting at the desk.

"Shut up, Kangaroo." I hear Jack say. I see an angry look on Bunny's face. Then he turns and walks over to the couch. He sits down. Jack floats towards the stairs. He sits there. Tooth tells me that she has to go take care of some teeth situations and flies out the window. Sandy sighs, but not literally, of course. I stand here for a second, staring at the floor. I don't know what to do, I'm bored. I look over at Sandy, who's sleeping soundly. Bunny, I can tell, is still mad. North obviously doesn't care about their problems because he's too busy doing whatever he's doing, which kinda makes sense. He's like the leader person of our group.

I turn and walk over to Jack. I sit next to him. We don't really say anything for awhile. "So," I say, interrupting the awkward silence. "How's it going?" Jack doesn't seem to be paying attention, because he doesn't answer. I get up and walk to my room. I sit in the chair by the window. I sit there until North calls us to a late dinner. I leave my room and walk up the stairs. I walk towards the dining hall and walk inside. I take my seat and begin eating. "Why were you two fighting again?" Tooth asks Jack and Bunny.

Jack stops eating and looks up. Bunny does the same. They stare at each other. "It's not important, Tooth." Bunny says calmly. "Yeah, sure it isn't." I say sarcastically. Jack and Bunny look at me. "I said it's not important." Bunny says. I can hear a hint of aggression in his voice. I look down and go back to eating. Then Sandy taps on my shoulder and I look over at him. "Don't you tell her, Sandy." Bunny says. "Why is it such a big deal?" Tooth asks. I focus on Sandy. They were talking about- Sandy begins to sign. "Sandy! Don't tell her, or anyone else for that matter." Jack says. Fine, I won't tell her. Sandy signs.

"Okay," North says. "I made cookies. Who wants some?" Sandy and I immediately raise our hands. North pulls out a plate of different types of cookies and hands it to Sandy. He stares at it, wide-eyed, then he takes a cookie. I take a chocolate chip one. "North, you wouldn't mind if I went to see Jamie today, would you?" Jack asks. North shakes his head. I grab another cookie, but it's not the one I wanted. I look at Sandy. He has it. He has my chocolate chip cookie. I snatch it from him, just as he's about to bite into it.

Sandy glares at me and reaches for the cookie, but I move my hand out of the way. We continue like this for a few minutes while the others talk. then Sandy snatches the cookie. He splits it in half and gives me a piece. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I bit into the cookie. "Crikey!" I hear Bunny shout. I look towards him and see him fall over in his chair. On the table is a giant toy spider. Jack sits next to me, laughing. Bunny gets up and angrily throws the spider at Jack, who doesn't seem effected by it.

"I swear, Jack," Bunny says. "I will get my revenge." Then the door opens and Phil comes in. He says something that none of us besides North understands. Jack slowly stops laughing and I grab another cookie. North suddenly gets up and follows Phil out of the room. I glance over at Sandy, who has a mouthful of cookie. He shrugs. We all get up and leave the dining hall. Sandy brings the cookies with him. North stands a few feet away from that crystal thing that I saw awhile ago. We join him. I can see the moon through the window. A moonbeam streams into the room and hits the crystal. Sandy hands me another cookie and I gladly take it.

A picture starts to form in the moonbeam. We all watch intently. A few minutes later, a picture of a boy with short hair like Jack's is formed in the moonbeam. "No way." Bunny says. "A new Guardian." North chimes in.