Chapter 31

I always wear my cloak now. Always. I put it on over my sweater when I wake up and I wear it the rest of the day. "Something is definitely up." Bunny says. I shovel some yogurt into my mouth. I had to settle for yogurt because there's no watermelon. The elves at the rest, so now, one of us has to go get more, eventually. "Pitch hasn't shown up in a week and a half." Tooth says worriedly. Sandy listens intently as he eats. "At least August is trained. He is prepared for any situation that presents itself." North says. August smiles at North.

"Stuck-up brat." I hear Jack mumble. Luckily, no one else heard him. We all finish our breakfast in silence then leave the room. As we're walking out of the room, the lights flicker. Jack grabs my hand. Then it's dark for a second. Then the lights flicker again and they turn on. North turns to all of us. "Pitch." Bunny says. North nods then looks over at Jack. "Jack, you know where to go and what to do. Take August and Jess with you." I can tell Jack isn't happy about taking August, but he nods anyway. He lets go of me and walks past North, who hands him a snow globe, and to the middle of the room.

"I'm not leaving. I'm staying to help." I protest. North looks at me. "You're goin', Mate." Bunny says. I see Jack throw the snowglobe and it becomes a portal. "No, I have the right to stay. I am expirienced enough." I say. Jack comes up to me, grabs my arm, and drags me towards the portal where August is waiting. "No! I'm staying!" I shout, trying to get away from Jack. I'm not fast enough. Jack steps through the portal and the others are gone from view. I land on a hard surface. It's dark. I get up and make a light eminate from my palms.

I look around and don't see Jack or August. "Jack?" I whisper loudly. I walk forward, not really knowing where I'm going. "Jack?" I say a bit louder. I walk in silence for a few minutes. And then, the lights turn on. I'm standing in a long hall. I keep walking and reach the end. "Jack?" I call as I peer around the corner. Another hall. This one has a few doors. At the end I can see stairs. I run down the hall towards them. I stop at the top of the stairs and look around. There's a huge room down there with a fireplace and furniture.

There's a large globe, that's smaller than the one at the work shop, in the far corner of the room. A few doors are around the room. I'm assuming they're bedrooms. One of them has to be a kitchen, though. I walk down the stairs. "Jack?" I call again as I reach the bottom of the stairs. I get a worried feeling. What if Jack ended up going to a completely different place? What if I'm here alone, with no way out, no idea where I even am? "Jack!" I shout, walking into the room. I notice a hall all the way across the room that heads off to the right. I start checking every door. Most of them are rooms, but no one is in them. "Jack!" I shout again.

The last door I come to is near the hall. I open it and peer inside. The kitchen. I was right. I close the door and glance down the hall. "Jack!" I yell loudly. I wait for a second. Nothing. I sigh. I turn and start walking over to the couch when I hear footsteps pounding on the wooden floor. I stop and listen. They're getting closer. I look around. Nothing. Then the footsteps stop and it's silent. I stand there for a second. "Jack?" I say, turning towards the hall. It's silent for a second then I hear the footsteps again. It sounds like two people running side by side.

I take a step towards the hall as the footsteps get closer and become more clear. I stand completely still as the footsteps, or the people making them, seem just down the hall. Then someone runs out of the hall, immediately followed by another person. A smile spreads across my face. "Jack!" I say. Him and August spin around to face me. "Jess." Jack says. He runs over to me and hugs me. I hug him back. "What happened? Are you okay?" He asks. I nod. "I'm fine," I say. "Nothing happened." Then he lets go of me and I do the same.

"So, where are we?" I ask as August walks over to us. "Nowhere important." Jack says, walking away. "Well, if it isn't important, then why are we here?" I ask. "Because we are." I sigh. "He's not gonna tell us, is he?" August whispers. I shake my head. "Nope. He is and always will be Stubborn Jack Frost." I say, loud enough so Jack can hear me. He glances back at me. "I'm bored." August says, walking over to the couch and sitting down. "I'm gonna go explore. Have fun you two." I say and walk off down the hall.

At the end of the hall, I turn left. Then I turn right. At the end of the hall, I see stairs. I run over to them and walk up them. A door greets me at the top. I open it and walk inside. There's a desk in the middle of the room. There's a globe off to my left that is definitely smaller than the one at the Pole. It has lights dotting it's surface. There's three book shelves off to my right. One of those book shelves is covered in snow globes. We can get back to the Pole. I grab three snow globes, just in case, and leave the room. I head back down the hall.

I walk out of the hall and see Jack leaning against the fire place while August sits on the couch. "Guys," I say as I walk up to them. "We can get back to the Pole." I hold up a snow globe. "Where'd you get that?" Jack asks, jumping for it. I move my hand. "From a place." I say. "I wanna go back," August chimes in. "I wanna help them." "We're going back to the Pole, Jack." I say. "No, we aren't. I'm in charge, and I say no." He says. "Who said you were in charge?" August asks. "North did." "I never heard him say that you were in charge."

I take this moment to whisper our destination to the snow globe and throw it. It becomes a portal and the two of them immediately shut up. "Jess, what the heck? We aren't going back." Jack says. August gets up and runs over to the portal. He steps through it and I grab Jack. I step through the portal. We stand in the main room of the work shop. August and Jack stand next to me. I glance outside and see the others fighting Pitch and his Nightmares. I set the extra snow globe down and head for the door. "Jess!" Jack calls after me. I ignore him and open the door.

I walk outside and look around. Now I know why North wanted us gone. There's thousands of Pitch's Nightmares all around us. We are in deep trouble.