Chapter 10

I wake up early. I try to go back to sleep, but it seems impossible. I get out of bed, put on my shoes, and slip on my sweater. I walk out of my room and up the stairs. At the top, I stop, dead in my tracks. Pitch stands near the globe, admiring it.

"Oh, hello, Jess. We haven't seen each other in a few days, I was starting to get worried," he says.

"I was glad," I say.

Then he turns and faces me. We stare at each other for a moment. Then he shoots black sand at me. I jump to my right and almost fall over the banister. I look back over at him. The very little light in here gives it an ominous feel. The gold in his eyes shines.

He gives a wicked smile and runs towards me. I fly up to the ceiling.

"You're getting better," he says.

I float back down to the ground. He faces me again. He shoots a ball of black sand at me. I stick my hands out, palms facing towards him, hoping to block it. What happens in that moment is amazing.

A green light begins to emanate from my hands. Then it shoots forward as a beam. It goes straight through the ball of black sand and hits Pitch in the chest. He flies backwards and crashes into the work station nearest to him. I can't believe that I actually did that.

He gets up and looks at me. "So, it has begun."

He throws more black sand balls at me. I avoid some and shoot the others. Then I aim for him, but he disappears. I look around and see no trace of him. Then I look up and see him up on one of the beams holding up the roof. I shoot my green beam at him, but he avoids it.

He jumps down towards me. I dive forward out of the way. I look up and see Pitch standing in front of me. I scramble backwards on my hands as he walks forward. I shoot my beam at him again, but he avoids it.

I fly up towards one of the beams. Pitch appears there just as I land on one. I have no choice. I lunge at him, which catches him off guard. We plummet towards the ground. He lands on his back with a loud thud. I punch him in the face before he shoves me off of him and I hit the wall across the room.

Just then, I hear a door open. Pitch seems unaware as he walks towards me. I stand up. He throws another black sand ball at me and I duck. When I stand back up, I get punched in the face. I see Pitch. Then something hits him in the back of the head. He spins around. Past him, I can see Jack. His staff is pointed toward us. He shoots a bolt of ice at Pitch as the others appear next to him.

Pitch disappears and I duck. The bolt of ice hits the wall. I stand back up. Pitch is in the middle of the room, his back facing me. Jack has his staff still pointed at him. Now's my chance. I shoot a beam at him. It hits him in the back and he spins around. He angrily throws more balls of sand at me. I jump out of the way.

"Oh, my dear, dear Jack. You ruin everything, don't you? Now there is no more fun to be had. I will see you guys soon," Pitch says before he disappears.

I float up to one of the beams and sit there. The others realize I'm gone and start searching for me. For now, I want to stay away from receiving the questions they'll ask me. I cup my hands and the green light emanates from them. I stare at it for a second. How the heck did I make those beams?

I aim my hand towards the fire place and shoot a beam at it. Well, it wasn't a one time thing. I cup my hands again and slowly float to the ground as the light begins emanating from the palms of my hands again.

The others run over to me. The light disappears as I let my arms fall back to my sides. They look at me, shocked.

"How...?" Jack asks.

"I don't know. It just happened," I say.

"Do it again," North says. I stick out my hand and a beam shoots towards the opposite wall. I stop after a second or two.

"You are just full of amazing things, aren't you, Jess?" Bunny says.

I shrug. "I guess."

North begins to pace as he contemplates what I showed them.

"North, we're hungry," Bunny says after about fifteen minutes.

"Go get breakfast then," North says as he continues to pace.

Bunny hops off towards the breakfast hall. I follow him. We walk into the breakfast hall and run towards the table. We take a seat and start piling food onto our plates. I have four pancakes and two large watermelon slices. I've finished a pancake and a half when Jack, Sandy, and Tooth join us.

I finish all of my pancakes when North decides to join us. None of us are talking, just eating. After we're all done, we just sit there. It seems wrong in some way to just get up and leave.

"Jess, I want to run some tests with you." North says.

In saying this, North has kind of opened the gate. We all get up and leave the dining hall.

Jack, Bunny, Sandy, and Tooth sit on the couch. North stands near the globe and makes me stand five yards away from him.

"Sandy, I need you to stand here." North says, moving out of the way. He points to the spot where he was standing. Sandy floats his way over there.

"You're going to be fighting Jess. I want to see how you both react when she uses her beams." North says. He stands next to the couch. "Begin."

Sandy throws sand at me. I jump out of the way and shoot a beam at him. He ducks. He throws more sand at me. I fly out of the way of the sand and I shoot a beam at him. It hits him in the chest, just like it did Pitch. He flies back a bit.

"Stop," North says. I float back down to the ground. "Sandy, did that hurt?" Sandy starts to sign things.

"He said it only hurt a little." Jack says.

"Okay, so your beams aren't supposed to be deadly unless you want them to be. Do you understand, Jess?" North says.

"Yeah." I say.

"In a way, she's like Jack." Bunny says, smiling. I see Jack punch Bunny in the shoulder.

"It helps to know what you're capable of." North says, not really seeming to notice.