Chapter 29

I wake up and slip on my shoes. I grab my sweater and put it on. I walk out of my room and upstairs. North sits at his desk and Jack lays on the couch, staring at the ceiling. Apparently, everyone else is still asleep. I walk towards Jack and stand next to the couch. Jack looks up at me. "Hey." He says. "Sup." I say. "Be quiet." North says. We both look at him for a second. Jack sits up and I sit next to him. We sit there, not saying a word because North said so. Then I hear a door open. I look around and see Bunny walking towards us.

"Mornin', Jess." He says. I wave. Bunny leans against the banister, like always. After a few more minutes, Tooth arrives, who is immediately followed by Sandy. We all start talking. After a minute or two, North gets up, grabs some stuff off the desk and heads for his office. He walks in and slams the door shut. No one talks for about twenty minutes. Sandy and I start talking about cookies and the other three keep changing subjects from one thing to another. Then I hear a door open. I look around and see August sleepily walking towards us.

When he reaches us, North walks out of his office and all of us stop talking. North turns and walks into the dining hall. We all wait a few seconds before joining him. We all take our seats at the table. Jack sits in his normal spot right next to me and August sits next to Bunny. "I believe that it is strange," North says as I begin eating. "That we have not seen Pitch in almost a week." "Maybe he gave up." Tooth suggests. "We're still talking about Pitch, right?" Bunny asks. Tooth looks at him. "You know Pitch would never give up that easily." Jack says.

I silently sit in my seat, eating and listening to their conversation. I finish my breakfast and just sit there. I continue to listen to them, along with Sandy, who's also finished with his breakfast. "Pitch has to be planning something huge." Bunny says. "That is the only clear explanation." North says. "What do you think he could be doing?" August asks. "That's the problem. We don't know, so we don't know what to expect. We'll just have to prepare for all of it." Bunny says. "That means, August, that you are going to have to train some more." North says. August sighs.

"You will begin right after breakfast. Jess, Jack, you will work with him." "Why me?" Jack asks, sounding upset. "Because, I said so." North tells him. Jack lets out a frustrated sigh and crosses his arms over his chest. Sandy and I leave everyone to finish their breakfast. We sit on the couch. "Are you glad August is here?" I ask. Kind of. He signs. I can understand his reasoning. At some times, this can just get annoying. The dining hall door opens and the others walk out. Jack is the last one to come out and, man, he looks as angry as you could get.

"Let's go." He says as he passes me. August is right behind him, smiling happily for some unknown reason. I get up. "Later, Sandy." I say and start to walk off. Sandy waves and I turn around and catch up with Jack. I put a hand on his arm as we walk down the stairs. "Calm down, Jack," I say. "We won't be doing this forever." "I know, I just don't want to do it." He says. I smile and roll my eyes. He's cute when he's angry. It's just funny, the way he is. We reach the practice room and walk inside. I make August stand in one spot near the door and I join Jack a few yards away from him.

Then Jack suddenly shoots a bolt of ice at August. It hits August in the chest and he stumbles backwards. "Jack!" I say. He looks at me. "What? I didn't do anything." I sigh and take him aside. "Jack, this isn't going to take forever, but it will if you keep doing that." I say. "I don't want-" "Yes, I know you don't want to do this. I don't want to either, but yet, I am. Just do this for me, please, Jack." "Okay, I will, but only for you." He says. I smile and kiss him on the cheek. A shocked expression comes over his face. "Thanks, Jack. I owe you." I say and take my place again. Jack joins me.

"Now, August," I begin. "You're going to take turns fighting both of us. This will get you prepared for when and if you have to fight Pitch. Do you understand?" August nods. "Okay, Jack, you're first, and try not to kill him." I say and walk away. "I'll try." Jack says. I sit on the floor at least ten yards away, just to be safe, and I watch them. August shoots a beam at Jack, who dodges it and shoots an ice bolt at him. August jumps out of the way. Then Jack shoots a huge wave of ice at him. It hits him and he flies backwards and hits the wall. Jack stands there, smiling truimphantly.

August gets up, looking angry. he quickly shoots a beam at Jack. Jack doesn't react fast enough and it hits him in the chest. He flies backwards and hits the wall, he slumps to the ground and looks up. I get up. "Okay," I say as Jack gets up. I walk towards them. "Jack, you can go sit down or whatever. It's my turn." I say. Jack nods. "Gladly." He says and walks away. He sits where I was sitting. I take my place and so does August. He shoots a beam at me, I duck. I make a ball of light and throw it at him. He steps out of the way.

Then he shoots more beams at me and I block them with my sheild. I shoot a large wave at him, which he avoids by flying up out of the way. I didn't know he could do that, and apparently he didn't either. I can tell by the way he reacts. "This is so cool!" He exclaims. Then he falls and lands on his face. Jack laughs. I shoot a beam at him. "Ow, that hurt."  He says. August gets up. "I'm good." He says, giving a thumbs up. "Okay, well, I guess this is enough practicing. Let's get back upstairs." I say. August turns and runs out the door.

I glance over at Jack, who's just standing next to me. I take step forward and he grabs my arm. I turn around and he kisses me. Then he pulls away. "Now you don't owe me anything." He says. I smile and so does he. We walk out of the room and up the stairs. We join the others. As we approach them, I can hear August excitedly talking about how he can fly. "That's wonderful!" Tooth exclaims. Now I understand why Jack's so mad about this. August is getting alot of the attention and care and all that stuff. It's starting to get annoying.

"Wanna get out of here?" Jack whispers to me. I nod. "Let's." I whisper back. We walk along the wall all the way around to the globe. Then we quickly fly out of the window and up into the sky. I fold my legs like I'm sitting and Jack does the same. "This is kinda getting annoying, you know." I say. "I hate it." Jack says. "I mean, we don't really need August here. We can defeat Pitch without him." "I know," Jack says. "Thanks alot, Manny!" He calls. I giggle. Then August suddenly appears, scaring both Jack and I.

"You're talking to the moon? Wow, Jack. You are more crazy than I thought." He says. Jack gets an angry look on his face and lunges for August. I quickly form a barrier inbetween them. Jack looks at me and I raise an eyebrow. He sighs and I make the barrier disappear. "Hey, Jack, I want to see who this Jamie kid is you were talking about. He seems nice. I really want to meet him. Can you take me to see him tomorrow?" "No." Jack says coldly. I can understand why. August huffs. "Fine, be a jerk. I don't really care." He says then leaves. I feel bad for him, yet, at the same time, I don't.